man i love the volvo S60 D5 :)

snip

Yep, but I got it /very/ cheap S/H :-)

Reply to
Jamesy

Peak power is at about 4000 RPM (All 92 BHP of it) then things tail off a bit.

Power is still usable to around 4500rpm only then is it time for a gear change.

-- James

Reply to
James

A switch would imply that that engine was electronically controlled.

It isn't on a 405, the fuel pump is based on tractor technology. The XUD9 diesel engines (in the 406/Xantia etc) have electronic advance controlled by an ECU but fueling control is all still manual...

-- James

Reply to
James

It's true that the TDs do have a rep for head gasket problems, but it is a bit of an undeserved repuation (not even in the same league as a Rover K), they only suffer if you don't keep the coolant level correct / allow them to overheat etc.

Head gasket problems can be caused by lack of coolant on any engine you care to name...

-- James

Reply to
James

You'd probably find that on a dyno, peak torque occurs at 1900 rpm. In an accelarating car turbo lag occurs so the turbo doesn't produce full boost until you've passed peak torque. Try accelarating up a long hill in 5th....

-- James

Reply to
James

I see your prejudices aren't clouding your rational thought process.

-- James

Reply to
James

Yup, it was a switch for the fuel pump control - but doesn't the 405 TD offer both the 1.8 and the 1.9 litre engines?

A switchable mode was available for the 1.8 Mondeo TD . . .

Reply to
DervMan

Mk1's were 1.8 with intercooler (which was where it differed from the 205 i beleive), Mk2's were 1.9 with intercooler :)

A switchable mode would ROCK :) Could you switch it whilst driving along? I.e., see a tricky overtake, so switch it to power mode for the extra oompf?

Reply to
Dan405

Yup. I tried their demo Mondeo with it, and it was cooooool. Most of the time you just leave it in economy mode, where they reckoned you'd realistically save ten percent providing you didn't hunker it. But when you wanted to hoon it, you switch it into Power mode, and you get quite a noticeable increase in stomp, and - this being an extra bonus - more soot, too.

I didn't do it, we changed the car sadly, but for about two fifty, it would have been a cool toy! :)

Reply to
DervMan

They seem to be quite cheap for what you get? The switchable power thing would be niiiiiice :)

Fortunately it looks as tho the insurance people are gonna sort mine out :) So i'm not gonna have to go to diesel.

Reply to
Dan405

Certainly are. Do the Composer Pro instead of the Autocom. What are you using the MDs for? If you're recording them youself then normalise and compress before recording...

01V desk has compressors on every channel... bliss....
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Or 6th........

All depends on the speed you're doing though. It's doing around 2000rpm @

70mph in 6th gear (hey, that could be a name for a new TV Motoring show), so if I was accelerating up a steep hill and content with just moderate acceleration, then I'd keep it in 5th until, dunno, probably about 80 or 90. If I *really* wanted to accelerate, I'd stick it in 4th until the revs got to about 4000rpm, and laugh at the smoke screen between me and the people behind's headlights....mwahahahahahah!!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan