Minitest : BMW Z4

Important stuff first, hard touch dash (slightly rubbery coating), no cupholders.

Quite good fun, actually. Not very quick, but pretty good in 3rd, handled well but had the 18" wheels on which made it into a tramlining nightmare on white lines and under heavy braking.

First BMW clutch I've experienced in a long time that was as good as people say they should be, gearchange was that horrible slightly wobbly snicky job BMW's have had since the dark ages but seemed to work well enough.

Driving position wasn't bad, but not as good as an MX-5. Pedals were nicely set up for heeling and toeing, brakes were excellent, steering pretty good, seats less so. Body felt very stiff, which was nice. Much less flexible than an MX-5, or any other convertible I've driven recently for that matter.

The "Sport" button actually makes sense. On the motorway having it switched off makes it nice and relaxing, but once on the twisties (Snake Pass) the extra throttle response does make it more fun.

Somewhat embarrasingly on the twistier bits of the Snake I was having some difficulty getting away from a Transit Courier that was being driven very enthusiastically [1] by a local [2]. Z had no problems at all on the straights and faster corners, but the way the BMW was tramlining all over the shop under braking was enough to make me take it easy on the damp bits.

[1] Four wheel drifts in a Connect, impressive. [2] Glossop and Sheffield numbers on the van.
Reply to
Pete M

What engine was it? Had a passenger ride in a Z4M not long ago and it was bastard well fast.

Reply to
DanB

Now there's an idea for a meet - snake / cat / woodhead...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Just a 2.5. I imagine a 3.0 could be fun, but not on the 18"s.

Reply to
Pete M

I could probably afford to meet there. ... .. .

This economy thing is getting silly.

Reply to
Pete M

Sounds like somewhere I could have a pretty biblical accident...

Reply to
DanB

no, it's not, it's just that fuel is too expensive. Even I found myself cruising at near legal speeds today and getting >40mpg.

Either that or you're just too tight...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Not been in an M version but driven the 3litre on i think were 17's, went ok and handled good. some people say to firm but i quite like it myself. for a daily 2 seater drop top there ok but if i was having a second car i'd go for a MK1 or MK2 MX5 with a bolted on turbo :)

Reply to
Vamp

If I cruise at legal speeds I get >14 mpg.

Unfortunately, it's still

Reply to
Pete M

Oh yes indeed.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I think Jason McRoy was killed on his Harley up that way.

Reply to
Elder

Apparently research has shown that best economy is at peak torque. Which in 5th is 140km/h or 88mph in old money. Now where before have I seen that 88mph is vital?

Shame my commute only allows 80+ for about 10 minutes.

Reply to
Elder

You're confusing efficiency with economy...

And reality with BTTF.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

5th? What is this 5th you speak of? I have 4 gears. I know this.

Peak torque on mine is at 3900 rpm, which is (quick maths) 106 mph.

I think my licence would only allow 106 mph in a Rangie for around 10 mins.

Reply to
Pete M

Apparently, on an uninterupted motorway run, in the Saab 9000 they become very similar, and while 60 gets marginally better economy than 70 in 5th, 88 gets much better results.

Reply to
Elder

I think the fuel tank might have something to say about that before the 10 mins is up...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hmmm... tires are still not on your "want"-list :-)

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

your about as funny as lordy!

Reply to
Vamp

Heh, that was where I used to live and drive. A great place to learn to drive on the twisty bits, and in snow.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Don't forget Long Hill in that. And then afterwards we could all get together and compare points on our licences, since any 'spirited' drive around those parts can result in an impressive amount of speed camera van avoidance.

Reply to
Steve Firth