Mitsubishi VR4

1) Do they drive well? 2) Are they reliable? 3) Would I regret buying a quick day to day car as it'll a) accelerate point accumulation and b) make the Golf feel slow even with a new engine?
Reply to
Doki

Which generation are we talking about?

You want a late 80s / early 90s Ralliart rep.

Like this:

Can't find a colour version of it.

Reply to
SteveH

Latish 90s evil looking one. 280horses.

Reply to
Doki

Haven't heard anything bad said about them.

Look the bollocks, one of the few Jap. cars I'd own, aside from an Impreza 22B.

Can't imagine they're cheap to run or maintain, though.

Reply to
SteveH

Electrics seem to take a slating, unusual for a japmobile.

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Manuals are 280, the autos (which is the majority of them) are all

260bhp, until you get to about 1999.
Reply to
Lordy.UK

Quite well for a deceptively big car. Mostrously fast with fuel consumption to match. Expect teens if you're taking it easy, expect single figures if you're 'pressing on' somewhat.

I decided against buying one earlier this year because reliability does seem to be an issue with a lot of them, particularly with regard to the

4x4.
Reply to
Lordy.UK

Which is in fact not a bad thing at all.

TDM

Reply to
Tom De Moor

122MPH limiter on all Jap imports.
Reply to
Conor

112mph surely?

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

mine is roughly 180kph limit, but the cruise won't function above

112kph.
Reply to
Elder

112mph, but as it's removed when you change the clocks over to MPH it's a bit of a moot point...
Reply to
Lordy.UK

Mine still runs in Kilometers, so still limited. apparently changing the speedo controller on Celsiors to convert the standard clocks to display mph can screw the shift points.

Reply to
Elder

Not exactly removed, but it becomes 180mph, instead of 180kmph, so still moot, probably..

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Yus indeed, that's the ticket.

It's all completely moot, as the maximum UK speed limit is 70mph anyway, so it's not like any of us are ever going to see 112mph :)

Reply to
Lordy.UK

I had a V12 Jag once......

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

I did a route over the Alps in a 4.0 litre Jag a few years back. On the climb to the highest part of the pass the car average 4mpg which I thought was mildly amusing.

Since there are no petrol stations on the way up (or down) I was worried at one point that despite starting with a full tank that I may not actually get to the top before I ran out of fuel.

Reply to
Steve Firth