Mk1 1300E GT FOR SALE

Because totally solid un messed with MK1 shells for rallying are getting very rare. Either they have rotted and been patched so many times they won't be solid enough, or they have been rolled and wrapped round welsh hill stone walls, or forests oddly containing trees.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

For a start, a classic if looked after doesn't depreciate. Your 2500 quid recent car will.

And what's wrong with wanting something different?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

OK, you win. Definatley a dodgy bloke, that photo is obvious.

Hmm. The hairy legs and sideburns mean't nothing, I've seen some Czech and russian women Au Naturel

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

But I don't go Rallying, and neither do you :)

Reply to
Nom

There is that - doesn't sway my choice one bit though. Even if said recent car depreciated by 100%, it'd only lose the owner £2500.

Nothing at all ! The issue here is that the "something different" is markedly inferior in almost every way, when compared to more modern machinery.

Reply to
Nom

No one is either recommending or forcing you to buy it.

And?

I take it you've never driven a small lightweight RWD car?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you imagine commuting 10 miles to work in it?

Reply to
DanTXD

Many did once. However, this sort of car like all classics tends just to be used for pleasure.

If the OP had had any sense he'd just have advertised it in uk.rec.classics

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And you can still see???

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

You have no soul ;)

If I had a few spare quid I'd love to get my hands on a decent MK1 or MK2 Escort.

Reply to
¤¤¤ Abo ¤¤¤

Oh I can see now, but I have seen some really "Butch" women who really were women.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I used to do 17 miles of motorway with a 1.2 4 gear Skoda Estelle each way for 6 months.

If I could have persuaded the missus, I would be doing it now in a 136

1.3 Skoda with 5 gears, instead of the Celica (but she insisted it had to be newer. A H plate Celica with 136k miles, is newer than a K plate Rapid with 50k miles to her). Basic but competant, and easy to do. Just turn the radio up.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I might, and someone who does like Carl, see what I mean. I might buy it=20 because it is a solid classic, and appreciate the rally history, carl=20 might appreciate it as a solid shell, and appreciate the rally=20 potential.

And as this is a modding news group, I could be persuaded to convert the=20 solid shell into a retro rally rep, basically one step further than I=20 did with the Favorit.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

What on earth are you people on? A Mk 1 Escort is no less refined, seriously, than say, a 1994 1.2 Corsa or somesuch. Okay, it's not comparable to the sort of car £2,500 will get you, but driving a Mk 1 (or Mk II) is not a hardship.

If anything it's infinitely more fun - I've driven a 1.3 Sport regularly, and I used to drive a 1.6 Mk II 4 door at insane speeds - it was one of the tidiest handling cars I've driven for the complexity (or lack thereof) and easy to get into right away - it's taken me a while to get into the Supra's chassis (though now I have, it's not the wafting boat I thought it was and is more likely to be upsetting 'nippy' cars like MINI Cooper S's and such).

I can easily imagine commuting 10 miles, and driving 60 miles to Edinburgh in it and loving every minute.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Toyotas drive nice don't they.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Well, mine needs sharper brakes and balljoints, but yes - they do. When I sold the Sera, I drove to Carlisle with my gf following in the Supra - I thought the Sera felt skittish, until she pointed out I hadn't dropped below

70 for any of the bends. Ooops. Guess the reduction gear for KM/MPH isn't the most precision bit of kit then ;)

Supra is another kettle of fish. I've been treating it gently on account of the usual fear of blown headgaskets, but I've since decided to just drive the damn thing and wait for when I need to rebuild the engine. The rest of the car seems alright, so may as well enjoy it.

24v engines clearly need to be worked to get the best out of them, like 16v. Shame, I prefer my oomph below 4000rpm :/

Of course, my plan doesn't involve any thoughts of 4.0 Lexus V8 transplants. Oh no.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Kilpatrick

Yea, alright then.