Mk2 Rally Spec Escort

Wings on a Mk II are welded on. If they're not straight, then I doubt the rest of the car has had the right care and attention.

I know plenty of rally drivers, and have seen them fixing bent cars - and they don't fling 'em together like piles of shit. I've seen a Chevette HSR look like scrap one week, and the next, it was good - and yes, the inner wings were very strongly patched and straightened, but the outer panels fit as well as my road-going Chevette at the time.

Mk IIs are common. Bits for Mk IIs are common. The only bit worth anything is the shell. If you can't be arsed to make it look almost good (not mint, not concourse, but at least straight), then you've thrown away the value in the car.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

*ding*

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

now SOLD

so to the so called experts.

You know nufffing.

Reply to
BORG

Yeah, some people spend time making they're cars look pristine. Personally I'd rather spend my limited time and money sorting out the oily bits. If it was a proper group 4 spec car you could understand it, but its not.

But you could quite happily throw away the value of the car and hours and hours of time making it look 'almost good'. In my book, as long as it's solid and the important bits are straight I couldnt really care what the rest looks like (to a degree).

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I've spent enough time with people who race hot rods and bangers, to know that more care and preparation is put into the bulk of the cars than race in their respective classes, than that apparently has had.

I'd be ashamed to turn up even to a banger meet in something as badly prepared as that.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Just for the record, I never claimed to know anything. Out of interest, what did you get for it?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Not *ding* at all. Mk2s arent that common, especially in 3 door, prep'd form for a couple of grand. They're the weapon of choice for events in Wales, so I'm not surprised its been snapped up already.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

£2100 at a guess
Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Hmmmm road rally car....

Reply to
DervMan

£2,100 the owner was happy with that.

It wasn't mine. I'd not have shed like that.

Reply to
BORG

well spotted :)

Reply to
BORG

Lol.

That's hardly what you'd call 'prepped'.

More 'I need some cash, quick, so I'll sling something semi OK looking together this weekend'.

Reply to
SteveH

Please do explain why.

Big brakes, cage, quick rack, extinguisher, coil overs, buckets/harnesses etc - more than adequate for road rallies, and a good basis for a stage car.

A mate of mine bought a 5 dr mk2 with a 2.0 pinto for £800. He's aiming for a similar spec and has spent thousands and it still isnt anywhere near ready over a year later.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Carl Gibbs wrote: way the value in the car.

Bollocks. My local dealer was flogging a prepped and proper RS2K for £2,500; and it was straight.

Though 3 door Mk 2s are pretty rare - I can just picture someone doing the stages in an Escort Estate. Though, I reckon I'd go for a Mk 1, for the really classic look (Mk 2s have Mk 1 back ends on the estates anyway).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

It looks as though it was slung together by Steevie Wonder.

I've never seen a rally car with such badly fitted panels.

Reply to
SteveH

You should have bought it then, because you could have made some money on that!

I wouldnt go for either - too expensive for what you actually get :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

3dr Mk2s are very rare indeed. only the estates were 3 dr.

The best ones were the 2 drs though.

Nah, I'd pay huge money for a mint Mk2, they're worth it.

Reply to
Pete M

I used to have one in my mini - you could run what would be a rally only cam for the stock 1275 engine as a pretty tractable road cam. That thing was pretty much uncatchable along the twisties... At least it was until I stuffed it through a wall.

1460cc was doable, and in fact 1600cc is possible if you grind a couple of bits off the bottom of the block casting and fit a B-series crankshaft. And there are companies making 16v crossflow heads for the A-series...
Reply to
Albert T Cone

I had a 1460 lump in a 1275 GT.

Quick little bastard that thing, used to have no problem keeping up with the tuned 2.0 Escorts my mates had at the time, just couldn't pass them or do the top end stuff the Escorts could do.

Reply to
Pete M

Yeah thats the one, you know what I meant.

If I had plenty of money I would, but I havent, so I wouldnt :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs