More non progress :-)

Tried to turn over my bike engine the other night.

That's the ZX-10 one going into my Sylva for those at the back failing to keep up.

Anyway - it wouldn't turn.

Cut a long story short, it was locked solid. Really seriously seized solid.

Turns out that two of the pistons were stuck solid in the bores. It's all freed now and I have the barrels off for possible honing.

Failing that, I have found a set on ebay which are 1052cc ones, so not all bad.

And, another thing.

A friend has sold me his spare engine - this engine.

He has since sold the chassis, but the engine was going spare. It would have been rude not to.

So, I have an engine to go in and one to rebuild.

Another session in the shed Doug ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Skim about 1.5mm off the head if you can without touching valve seats, that will give loads of compression, dont use an "advancer" and use superunleaded, lap the valves in (1mm wide seats if you can recut them at home) , advance the exhast can a couple of degrees over the now retarded cams due to the head skim. check for clearance just before top dead centre on the exhaust stroke and exhaust valve, use the original airbox without filter and rejet to suit. Skimming a big chunk off the head will actually retard the cam timing and give more top end power. The compression will give more everywhere. Will give you a good bit more top end go like 15 hp or so and have better midrange too and be far crisper and angrier off the throttle with fast pickup.. Dont use cheap petrol! Fit colder plugs with slightly smaller gaps.

Reply to
Burgerman

There's a really obvious joke to be cracked there.

But I'm not one to lower the tone like that.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I was going to post something, but thinking about it would give me nightmares for a month.

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, and I totally didn't think that anyway....

Have you seen the size of his ratchet ?

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

"Yes, I see your point."

"Why, have my trousers fallen down?"

"Help, Eddie - we're stuck in a Bermuda Triangle of knob gags."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Baby, it's the size of my screwdriver you've got to worry about.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

How true, not only is it huge, but you're not scared to use it....

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle