Navigational Rallies

Any clues on how to not screw one up first time you have a go? :)

Reply to
DervMan

Get yourself a top-notch navigator. :-)

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Aiee good place to start. I can't find the rules so aforementioned navigator could be joined by GPS navigation too. :)

Reply to
DervMan

I'm pretty sure GPS is banned, 'cos it sort of defeats the point of a navigation rally.

Reply to
SteveH

No it isn't and no it doesn't. Reading a map is about 5% of a navigational rally. Working out the clues is the hard bit.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I originally thought that too, but you either bring with you or they provide you with an OS map of the region and you know where you start from...

Reply to
DervMan

Don't drive fast.

Reply to
Conor

Heh. Nor too slow.

Reply to
DervMan

I wonder if they'll do what alot do and use "Motel" to mean a crossroad.

Reply to
Conor

And I'm not taking the piss.

Reply to
Conor

It's mostly down to the navigator, but assuming it's their first time too (or are you nav'ing?) dont bother trying to do well, you'll end up tryijng to make up time or keep up with others and write off the car. Go out and have a laugh, but most importantly learn how it all works. The best way not to screw one up is to do lots and lots and lots!

I wouldnt bother with GPS, as it may not be against the rules, but it is frowned upon by most people. And its probably a lot easier solving clues on a proper OS paper map anyway.

I could probably dig you out some online resources on our club website if you're interested, but it depends on which rally you are doing, what class you're competing in and the sort of navigation that particular club uses.

So which one are you doing and when?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You must be he has a Ka remember.

Reply to
Depresion

Yup. I know that.

Reply to
DervMan

Useful advice!

:) This one is pitched at newbies so I've no real issue with messing it up.

Yup. I'd only be using it as a moving map display, so if I'm asked, "where are you?" I won't retort with, "sat in the front holding on to a steering wheel for dear life" type thing. :)

Oh yeah. We're in the Newbie Newbie class. :)

The Pothunter Rally, in the middle of Scotland in a fortnight, with Astravanman as the navigator. I'm just going along for the drive. :)

Reply to
DervMan

Tomtom 5 :)

Reply to
Tony Bond (UncleFista)

Wouldn't it be funny if you had a two-man rally team, both called Tom, who got lost?

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Cool, best way to start!

Good good :)

Cool, some good roads up there! Good luck to the both of ya!

Make sure AVM has some sickness tablets though! Seriously.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

You so need a ride.

Reply to
DervMan

We thought a combination of beer and Red Bull would have the same effect?

Reply to
DervMan

Cheat.

Reply to