Nearly there :) Carputer

Should all be in the weekend, GPS is working perfect, Radio is working great, and all the movies/MP3's are running on the 60 gig drive :P

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Looking good - shame about the choice of music ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Hehe thats the new tune by Kevin Little, its quite cool I recks.

3010 Mp3's lol in my car now, should keep me happy for a while

Ron

Reply to
Ron

another

Ron

I'm a bit more disturbed by the Justin Timberlake myself ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

Jesus, gave me a shock there - the buttons are nearly identical to some I did for a bit of MP3 software back in '99. Unforunately the world (and the software, due to timescales) wasn't quite ready for mass-market and I don't think it did more than a single production run, and probably ended up in the bargain bin at PC World.

Nice going on the system - I briefly played with making one a few years back (using a tower system in the boot and a 10.4" touchscreen) but the special 12V DC-DC AT power supply I used couldn't hack the voltage drop when the engine cranked so it wasn't particularly successful.

I am currently looking at getting one of these puppies for my Chevy Caprice cop car - it's actually designed as a police terminal so it will be functional and an improvement to the look of the interior:

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Hey Ron,

Whered you get your touchscreen from, and how much?

I was thinking about digitalww, but wasnt sure exactly, cause it'd mean all this duty/tax bollocks.

regards gurps

-- watch the spam trap!

Reply to
gurpz

There is a guy who imports them over here, the cost is around £400.00, If you can get one 2nd hand its better, I got mine for about 200 inc delivery and did'nt pay no vat or import duty,

are doing the USB version for $375.00 and £ isgood against the dollar at the moment so thats £225.00 + delivery, and ifyou speak to the guy there he will prob send it as a gift, atc so you canavoid a bit of Duty. Ron

Reply to
Ronny

I would also reccomend these USB GPS receiver's, I can get a signal from "Inside" my house, just by placing it on the window ledge lol

Its a great receiver

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

I bought a 10.4" USB touch panel kit (just the touch and controller, not the TFT) from armin at digitalww.

Price was $120+$20 shipping, and I got lucky and didn't get hit by cutoms.

This one should be available very soon

And when he can get a firmer time scale

would be the Ultimate. BTW, minit-ITX won't be the smallest for long. Via are working on Nano- ITX at 12cm by 12cm. A little smaller than a leptop CDrom, so if you had two din slots, you could be a PC into the second one, and use an external PSU hidden under the dash.

Good PSUs include the Opus DC-DC

cheap, but quite special. Wiht a Shutdown controller and tank curcuit built in. So you won't reboot when you start the engine, and the PC will shutdown X seconds after you turn off the ignition/radio/switch (whatever monitoring switched source you use).

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Take a look at these, cheap as well

Reply to
Ronny

That is not a bad price at all, and the TSK option is cheap enough.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yeah, and the screen is 400 nits, and alot brighter than mine, always the way init, you buy a screen and the next day an even better one comes out.

Oh well

Reply to
Ronny

Yes I had seen this, I was considering it. I just got a email from the guy who runs the auctions.

Didnt really get any of my questions answered so ive emailed him again.

regards gurps

-- watch the spam trap!

Reply to
gurpz

Had a look at quite a few GPS modules.

Just got this in the post yesterday,

Looks cool, like a big eye looking into the sky. Picks up about 2 sats in the house near a window.

regards gurps

-- watch the spam trap!

Reply to
gurpz

Also, what GPS software are you using?

I am just about to install Autoroute 2004, but I reckon for some reason I wont be what im looking for. When I can find somewhere local that stocks MS Streets and Trips i'll give that a go.

Ive heard of Navigator and Destinator, but aint really been bothered to look closely at them yet.

regards gurps

-- watch the spam trap!

Reply to
gurpz

I'm using Mappoint 2002, with the AGPS plugin/addon, that adds routing and voice directions.

S&T and Autoroute are the same thing but for different sides of the pond. Both can tell you were you are with GPS, but they can't give directions.

Navigator and Destinator are both fairly decent with Voice Navigation directions. Navigator is far cheaper.

If you are in the states, Co-Pilot seems to be the toy of choice.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Thanks, might look into Mappoint.

Im in the UK aswell, in the southwest.

regards gurps

-- watch the spam trap!

Reply to
gurpz

i'm in the southwest as well, I use navigator, its very good, Make sure if you buy a screen you get at least 400nits, unless you have serious badboy tints.

If you need a copy of anything, edonkey has all the software you need.

If you need a copy of somthing email me, I can sort most out. I brought navigator, as it only costs about 30 quid..

Im after a wireless router now for home, as I have one at work, its great, I can leave kazza downloading my music while im in my office, and then the tunes are all ready for the drive home ....

Isnt technology great :)

Ron

Reply to
Ronny

Heh...

when I get my car pc sorted, I might stick in a USB wireless lan in it, so I can park up in the garage, or near the house, check email, grab a bit more music and go away, as ive got a wireless router here.

Router I got from

.

If you want, maybe we could meet up sometime. Both in southwest, to narrow it, im in Bristol.

regards gurps

-- watch the spam trap!

Reply to
gurpz