New (and old) wheels

Finally got me new wheels after a 2 month wait:

When I took my old ones off I checked and they had an offset of ET35. The new wheels are ET42. That problem I had with the scraping or grinnding when turning hard right is still there but I don't think it is any worse than it was (and the tyres have increased from 215/40 to 215/45). I need to get some bluetack and run some tests to find out if it still rubs on the suspension or not. I still reckon something must be up with that side as the drivers side is fine. Getting that checked out on Saturday.

With regard to my old wheels.. they are pretty well kerbed all around the edges.. I was thinking of getting them machined & retouched and then selling them. 2 of the tyres are only about two weeks old and the other 2 are still good. Is it worth having the wheels retouched or should I just sell them as they are for less? Do wheels for a Rover 600 fit any other car?

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Nice numberplate :) You might wanna blur that out before some scroat comes and nicks your wheels...

Reply to
Dan405

And get some clear side repeaters :)

Reply to
Dan405

Dan405 waffled on in a quite bewildering manner to produce...

Rover / Honda wheels tend to fit Vauxhalls, Volkswagens, and Fiats / Lancias / Alfas IIRC.

Reply to
Pete M

Er, they're a bit "bling bling" aren't they?

Reply to
Jamesy

Eurgh!

They're very American-style 'Rice Boy' wheels. They _really_ don't suit a Rover 600.

Reply to
SteveH

Nice, but you REALLY need a pair of

Nom

No, only the little Rovers.

The 600 and the 800 share fitting with some Hondas, and other Jap stuff.

Reply to
Nom

I don't think they look bad at all.

Reply to
Nom

Hehe, don't hold back, tell him what you really think.

Oh, you did :)

Must admit they wouldn't be my first choice either (or possibly even anywhere on the list), not struck on Chrome wheels. No doubt they will look a lot better in the metal than on a picture tho.

Reply to
Lordy

It's a bit of a fashion thing anyway.. I probably wouldn't like Steve's choice of shirts ;-)

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Yeah.. when there's a lot of light shining on them they do reflect a bit, but the picture makes them look shinier than they are.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Mynheer.. they should know better given that they do alot of work on Rovers.

[..]

I have a card for someone who's supposed to be cheaper than your average refurbisher.. I'll give him a bell tomorrow and find out.

So, presumably in terms of the PCD the wheels would fit any car on that page with 4x114.3, or is that "c/bore" factor also important? Pity that page doesn't say the size of the wheel it's referring to and how to calculate the offset for larger wheels.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

Is that the price for a pair of repeaters or just one side? Doesn't seem to make that clear.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

I couldn't get any locking nuts for them, as the wheel holes are too narrow.. like my old wheels they give you an adapter to use with your socket set, which they seem to think is secure enough.. hmmmmm.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

I've got a couple of decent pics of the old wheels at home.. I'll post a URL later.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

I'm cheaper. And I can fit all my kit into a carrier bag.

A dremel, and a wire brush to clean, and a can of no name silver spray. if you want wet cleaned you supply the bicket/hose/water.

And I'll do it for £15 a wheel, plus my bus/train fare.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Preferably :)

Nope, but how bad they are would obviously determine my interest.

Fooooooool :) I just replaced all four of mine for less than £200 !

What are they btw, 17 inchers ?

I hate playing guessing games, tell me how much you're roughly looking for and I'll tell you how much I can afford (which is not much until just after Chrimbo). If they're 17"s it'd probably be 3 ton max, I vaguely recall they may be 18 tho ?

Reply to
Lordy

Found it, "17" Wolfrace Vibes with 215/40 tyres".

Reply to
Lordy

I'll take some pictures tomorrow morning and let you know the URL.

I rang a few local places a couple of months ago and the cheapest I found for 215/40's was £110 each. These are Avon ZZ3's.. what size/make of tyres cost you £200 for 4?

Hmmm.. difficult to put it into perspective when you've just parted with £240 on new tyres ;) I wouldn't like to go below £300 but lets just see what you think of their condition first.

Btw, I'm in Oxford.. what's your neck of the woods?

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus