New car advice please!

Just finishing a 6 week ban for speeding and found out the my insurance company are going to load me quite heavily for the time being, so I have to get a sensible car :(

Wish list:

Reliable Cheap running costs A little bit of poke would be nice Comfy and nice to drive

Budget up to =A35k, although something around =A33k would be wonderful as I will get something sporty again in 12 months or so time.

So far I'm looking at Accords, Passats and BMW 5 series ... any I've missed? Quite fancy something large and comfy to waft about it. 5 series seem cheap for what you get, what are they like to drive/own?

Thanks! Adam

Reply to
monty77

Diesel A class, low insurance, cheap to run, won't lose much value, shouldn't get you any more tickets - worked for me for a year

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

But they're horrible things - slow, harsh ride, no handling to speak of and interiors by Fisher Price.

Reply to
SteveH

Change insurance company ?

So let me get this straight. You want to spend five thousand pounds on a=20 car you don't particularly want, to avoid paying a few extra hundred=20 quid on your insurance ?

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Just finishing a 6 week ban for speeding and found out the

housand pounds on a

Few hundred quid, I wish! Cheapest quote is nearly =A33k up from =A3900.

Figured =A35k would still get me something 'nice' to drive and look at even though it wouldn't be the car of my choice.

Cheers, Adam

Reply to
monty77

Wish list:

Reliable Cheap running costs A little bit of poke would be nice Comfy and nice to drive

Budget up to £5k, although something around £3k would be wonderful as I will get something sporty again in 12 months or so time.

So far I'm looking at Accords, Passats and BMW 5 series ... any I've missed? Quite fancy something large and comfy to waft about it. 5 series seem cheap for what you get, what are they like to drive/own?

Thanks! Adam

keep what you got and pay the hike damn wish i did!

Reply to
Vamp

Not a fan of the A class pretty much for reasons stated above .. looks like a rollerskate too :(

Cheers, Adam

Reply to
monty77

Change insurance company ?

So let me get this straight. You want to spend five thousand pounds on a car you don't particularly want, to avoid paying a few extra hundred quid on your insurance ?

Reply to
Burgerman

Few hundred quid, I wish! Cheapest quote is nearly £3k up from £900.

Figured £5k would still get me something 'nice' to drive and look at even though it wouldn't be the car of my choice.

Cheers, Adam

How much???

I never paid more than 300 and in some cases much less. And I have a lot of big bikes and modded cars over the years! You must live in a war zone and be about 17!

Reply to
Burgerman

You must have been a bad lad then. First point still stands, you have tried getting other quotes I assume?

--=20 Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy.UK

exactly.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Still keeping up your 100% record on talking bollocks I see.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Skoda Octavia Diesel :)

got 2 of these and i wont go past em,

5k gets you a lot of car for your money.:)

avoid the sdi's their underpowered and have some underlying gearbox issues,

any of the tdi's are good though, and come in 90-110 and 130 bhp guises, 5k will get you a good low mileage 130 brake laurin and klement, around 3 yr old, you will not get anything better equipped this age :)

Reply to
Rob

Wish list:

Reliable Cheap running costs A little bit of poke would be nice Comfy and nice to drive

Budget up to £5k, although something around £3k would be wonderful as I will get something sporty again in 12 months or so time.

So far I'm looking at Accords, Passats and BMW 5 series ... any I've missed? Quite fancy something large and comfy to waft about it. 5 series seem cheap for what you get, what are they like to drive/own?

Good handling, quiet, comfortable, firm ride without being too much so. Petrol 6 cyl engines are particularly good IMO, especially the 2.8iin the E39, or the 2.5 in the E34. Both are capable of returning over 30mpg on a long run, or on the m/way You could pick up a good 95/6 E34 for around 2K, and 5K would get you a low mileage late E39. Excellent cars for the money. In your position I'd go for a very good E34. I have one of each, and there's really not much to choose between an E34 and an E39. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

So you could spend £3k insuring your current car for a year or £5k to buy a car you don't want as much followed by £1k to insure that then sell it at the end of the year to get another car you want and probably only get £3k for it then so I don't want to put a downer on you but it doesn't sound like it's making much financial sense.

Reply to
Depresion

Which MP's child did you run over then?

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream: