Purchase advice please...

Right, I know nothing about Land Rovers, but have seen in passing a '68 SWB petrol Land Rover, it has an MOT till January, and the guy says he'll accept £500. It's got a hard top. I reackon I can get him to to £400 if I try. :-)

I've started it, it runs ok, but it's a bit on the tatty side. Interior doors held closed by bits of bungee cord, that sort of thing. I know that's no description, but am prepared to take a bit of a risk - I just need assurance of what the minimum a roadworthy vehicle of this age is likely to be worth? Even if I buy a lemon, it's still got to be worth something, right?

I only really need something to do a 5 mile round trip now and again when my wife has the everyday car, and I'm figuring that with cheap insurance, no tax, and low running costs it could be quite a cheap vehicle to run.

TIA

Andy

Reply to
Andy F Batter

if it's got a genuine MOT then it seems good money to me.

at 1968 vintage you have a series 2/2a.

Don't worry about tatty, if the engine sounds ok, and pulls ok, and there are not too many odd noises from the transmission then you could be on to a winner.

Body panels are a kind of aluminium so no rust (but they can corrode).

Chassis is steel, get under there and have a good look at it, it may well have surface rust (anything over a year old has some surface rust) but any repairs should be fairly neat and solid looking and there shouldn't be holes in it, the bulkhead is also steel (the verticle thing onto which the dash is tied and the windscreen sits atop of).

The current price-guide in one of the magazines says £750 minimum but I feel they tend to overprice a little in this guide.

You may well find some good info here

Regards. Mark.

Reply to
MVP

Before doing anything, take it for your own MOT. My S2 came with a fresh MOT and it was a complete deathtrap. You will then at least know whether you have an MoT or an 'MoT'....

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

I doubt if you'll lose on it, there's 400 quids worth of spares there for someone I should think! TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

Ey up, fancy seeing you in here...............

Reply to
/\/ / & E