New car time again - any ideas ?

Yay, we agree on the right person, for the right price, on a 166.

That must be a first. Don't suppose there is a cheapish JTD 166 that you could get an allowance for, instead of taking a company car is there.

Reply to
Elder

Douglas Payne wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Werl, thats got me interested. 1.9D sounds about right for enonomics, and I'm on first name terms with Eurocarparts anyway. Cheers for the info Doug.

Reply to
Tunku

I know I wouldn't - any more. Having paid 100 quid a month tax for a company car I won't do it again. That saved tax will largely pay for the new car, the remainder will be paid for by no more than 17% of the expenses I can claim for running my own car. Feel free to ignore that last bit if you like, even I struggled to understand it...

If the question was pointed at SteveH in the first place, over to you :-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

I'd go for a 1.9TD though - shouldn't be too hard to find one, and they're a lot more pokier than the 1.9Ds, and every bit as economical.

-- "For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

He'll be looking for a 1.9TD BX for a very long time.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Maybe 'the real Rob' can knock one up for him next weekend :-p

Reply to
SteveH

After finishing the V8 punto ?

;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

What, like the two currently on ebay at the moment, you mean? :-)

-- "For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Pete, none of the BXs I found on the bay are even pretending to be 1.9TDs.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Yes, it's got the wrong gearbox.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

My first experiences of driving a BX was a beige 19DTR (none turbo 1.9D) that I borrowed/stole from my mum. Great car - never seemed to put any fuel in it, it just kept going (mind you the tank is 14 gallons I think). It had PAS, c/l, electric windows all round, plus a great electric sunroof. Seats were nice and comfy so it was great on long journeys, especially with the bump-absorbing ride!

Engine is not exactly a power house, but it was adequate for pootling around and would also sit at an indicated 100mph quite happily (on the autobahns of course). As Douglas says the brakes are fantastic - even the base models have discs all round and will stop instantly. However if you plan on doing some towing I'd definately look into the 1.7TD instead - makes a big difference over the n/a but fuel economy doesnt suffer too badly.

Make sure you check the hydraulics are all ok though - they're not overaly complicated but can be pricey to repair. Things to check for are (obviously) LHM leaks, the state of the hydraulic lines (rusty lines can lead to big LHM puddles and undrivable cars), the pump itself and that the suspension reacts like it should when you push down on each corner.

You can pick decent one's up for a few hundred pounds too. Bit more if you want the slightly better later versions.

My early driving experiences of the biege DTR made me like them so much I've just bought my own one - a top of the range 16v, and I love it!! Even if it has broken a few times since I got it :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Not enough valves.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You're obviously not looking very hard then.

(item 4652899336)
(item 4651163238) I'd definitely say that even if they're actually not, both of those are at least pretending to be turbo diesels.

Oh, but they're both 1769cc ones........yeah, see your point! :D

-- "For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Douglas Payne wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net:

Keep looking then, is it?

Reply to
Tunku

You need patience with a 1.9D - I'd say it's ok to the general public, but not to most of the folk on this group. The TD is rather quicker. AVM says it's as economical, but IME that's not actually true - it may be on a cruise, but it encourages you to be a bit more leaden-footed and you pay for this. Still not too bad though.

cbeers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

OK, someone into the frogmobiles enlighten me? TZD models were turbo diesels, the second one has a TZD badge on the C pillar. Apparently the 1.7 TZD has a 1.8 engine from what I've read. Why at least wouldn't the second one be a turbo diesel?

Reply to
Elder

I've got a feeling TZD didn't neccessarily mean turbo diesel. The T in a badge on a BX certainly doesn't neccessarily denote a turbo, it's more like a trim level, I think. But I'm really not all that sure.

They're both turbos - it says so! Doug's point was that they didn't put the

1.9TD engine in the BX! And btw, the 1.7 and 1.8 engines in the BX are exactly the same size - they were just referred to as both.

-- "For want of the price of tea and a slice, the old man died."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You're right. TZD/TGD/TR/DTR (TRD on the mainland) are all just trim levels. The engines are then 17, 19, Turbo.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I just had a look here and the same car is Aus$47k here. FUCK! That is so cheap.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Ah OK. Just that I had a little google arround with all this BX interest all of a sudden. And it mentioned on a lot of sites that the TZD was a later turbo version than (I can remember the older designation) turbo diesels.

I guess that owner was way wrong if it is just a spec trim level.

Reply to
Elder