new tyres again!

well last feb i put some Toyo T1R's on the rear on the BM, anyway they've lasted about 14k ish miles which isn't to bad i guess as they are quite soft. anyways i was happy with the toyo's and the level of grip was good and more than i expected in the wet too. but they wasn't cheap!

now i'm tempted to try something different, maybe goodyear eagle F1's or maybe the falken 512's i've had before?

any suggestions? know a few of you guys changed tyres about the same time as me last year (i think anyway)

Reply to
Vamp

I bought 4 Goodyear eagle F1's for my old Golf V6 4mo. The grip from these tyres was immense. Like the T1R's, F1's are quite soft so will probably not last as long as a harder tyre. Couldn't tell you how long they lasted as I sold the car several months after buying the tyres.

The Eagle F1's are great in dry or wet conditions, but they are not supposed to be that good in Snow, not a major problem these days.

Reply to
diy-newby

I am going to completely ignore your question and post my own :)

Has anyone got any experience of the latest runflat tyres? I am in a wheelchair, drive from a wheelchair and changing a wheel isnt an option so I think I am going to buy a set.

Any experience of ride comfort or actually using them "flat" for Eg.

Looking at 245/50 18 size. So limited to:

ECSTA SPT KU31 XRP 245/50 R18 100W runflat, BSW, notlaufeigenschaften, Surprisingly good in non runflat and cheap! (130 each)

The new Continental runflat Sportcontact 3 £220 each

Turanza ER 42 RFT 245/50 R18 100W runflat, Z - I dont like Turanza tyres as they seem to get really slippery in the wet when partialy worn and dont stay in balance well???

SP SPORT MAXX GT ROF 245/50 R18 100Y with rim protection, runflat (newest and dearest 261 quid each...)

To go on this

Burgerman

Aren't there people you can pay to do this sort of thing? AA, RAC, etc. I can't remember the last time I had a flat, so I wouldn't bother with runflat tyres.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I haven't even got a spare or a space for a spare :-) And I'd need one of those special recovery trucks with a really low loader hehe :D

Reply to
Iridium

Yes but other reason is a) sense of security b) need the space where the spare goes for LPG conversion!

Reply to
Burgerman

Where's the hairy take-any-risks biker gone?

Reply to
Clive George

He got older and landed in a wheelchair paralised. If I get stuck and cant get back home on time I risk all kinds of crap like pressure sores etc. Last one confined me to bed for a full year while it healed. Most not good!

Reply to
Burgerman

ouch!

Reply to
Vamp

Only the ones my father ran on his Cooper S (Goodyear NCT and something else possibly Michelins), he really couldn't tell from the feel when one of them went down so the ride was the same inflated as deflated, harsh. They aren't as bad as some of the car journos make out but they do feel harder and seem to pick up more punctures than normal and most places refuse to plug them if you get a puncture. The other problem was they didn't seem to last long, (I guess they had a slightly softer compound to make up for the lack of sidewall flex).

Reply to
Depresion

More punctures. Never thought of that. Wonder why?

Reply to
Burgerman

I don't know, maybe it's how he drives? Then again since ditching them he hasn't had one. could just be sod's law, he couldn't get them fixed so they would puncture just to be a pain.

Reply to
Depresion