what tyres?

discovered a puncture on my back rear :( being RWD i'll have to replace both and i can't swap with the front as the profiles are different :(

profile is 225/50/15 i think, any good places to buy online and what about make ect? i need something that will have plenty of grip!!!

Reply to
Vamp

is what I always use now, v cheap, you just need get them fitted. I'm putting Toyo Proxes T1-Ss on the mk1 next weekend. S'pose to be good. Bridgestone RE720s are also good.

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

cheers carl, oh there 225/55/15 although just changed over to the gay looking space saver spare and i think it could be repaired as it looks like it had a nail in it and err it came out.

Reply to
Vamp

Panaracer Cinder :P.

Reply to
Doki

Bah, I'll stick with my Maxxis High Rollers :)

Reply to
LordyUK

Bridgestone Potenzas or Pirelli P-Zeros.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Goodyear eagle F1's or Mich pilot sport. As Carl says mytyres is usually cheap.

Seeing as you probably don't go out in the wet anyway, how about some Kumho V70A's ?? Plenty of grip in the dry :-)

Reply to
Andrew Jewitt

Wished I had my Tiogas today. Muddy as f*ok.

Reply to
Doki

Just get a can of tyre foam...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

... and have tyre fitters fuming on sight.

That stuff is ok as a temporary measure, but don't leave it in for more than a day or two. Nasty 'orrible stuff.

Reply to
Pete M

...but not actually much cheaper than your local backstreet tyre place. My local bloke always gets within about a fiver of mytyres prices - but his include fitting and disposal. MyTyres/BlackCircles/AllTheRest are much cheaper than the big chains - but no cheaper than your local teeny place.

Reply to
Nom

The new Pug's got bargain-basement Hankooks on the back now - as the cheapest ZR-tyre I could find (215/55R16), they were something of a bargain at £69 each all-inclusive :)

Reply to
Nom

I've experienced exactly the same. There are a couple of places not a million miles away from me that are well known nationwide for being exceptionally good on tyre prices - namely Micheldever Tyres and a place on the A339 just outside Newbury (can't remember the name, might be Greenham, might be something else) - once I phoned up these two to compare them, out of interest, with my local place, Bracknell Tyre and Battery, and they were only slightly cheaper (certainly not worth the trip). I also looked at the likes of mytyres, and once you count fitting costs (plus taking into account that if you're buying the tyres of a tyre dealer they're more likely to do you a bit of a better deal on supplying them) they're no cheaper, or certainly not significantly cheaper to make it worth the hassle.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The place is called Micheldever, suprisingly :) (well Micheldever Station to be precise). Used them once before, good prices, tyres fitted by idiots, but the laser alignment guy was sound.

Luckily I can fit the tyres myself, so I dont have to pay any more for fitting, valves, waste etc. So a £20 saving over a set of 4 is fine by me!

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It was Headley tyres that I was trying to remember - Micheldever was the one I remembered the name of!

A tyre fitting machine would be handy - mind you, I know a couple of backstreet guys that could fit tyres for me, but they want money to do it, and the saving isn't worth the messing about compared to just popping down BT+B and getting them to supply fit + balance. Though there can be a fair wait, as they're often busy, so bringing along a push-bike to get home is always a good idea.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The joys of having a mechanic dad :) Also means I can do my clutch next weekend on a 4-poster ramp with plenty of air tools to chose from :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

what did you're dad think of the old mk1 from a mechanic point of view? heap of rusty crap or a classic in need of TLC? :)

Reply to
Vamp

He thinks its great. I showed him pics of the rust before I picked it up and he said 'go for it, you'll be able to get that sorted!' He had trouble getting in and out, and moaned about the lack of power steering, but was impressed with it considering its age. Even my grandad liked it, and liked the way it sounded! :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

good good, i miss the sound the exhaust made, my mate stu did a good job on that, sounds great at high revs hehe :)

Reply to
Vamp

Oh yes! Shame its gonna have to go though. Too loud :(

Reply to
Carl Gibbs