Tyres opinions?

OK, these el crapo tyres have to come off - no wet grip whatsoever, and since the drought order was made it's rained incessantly (I'm thinking of building an Ark...!)

So my local dealers have offered me Goodyear NCT, Avon, and Pirelli at reasonable prices. Thoughts please? This is for a Merc 220TE BTW.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

For a Merc - Czechoslovakian remoulds will be fine.

Reply to
Slurp

I only have experience of the NCTs in run-flat form where they are fairly average run-flats. (As in very hard) I had a bad batch of Avon ZV1s where the side walls all deformed but they gave a refund for unused tread. And I currently run Pirelli P5000s on my G40 and they seem to grip well in the dry and wear quite well but I did get all 4 wheels aquaplaning on them.

Reply to
Depresion

I'm sure you know that what suits one car, are often rubbish on another, however....................

My brother had NCT Eagles on the front of his Puma 1.7 which lasted about

20,000 miles. He replaced them with Avon ZV1(?) which gripped better but didn't last 15,000 miles. The Ford dealer then fitted a pair of Armstrong tyres (cheap Pirelli's?) which were very cheap and lasted quite well with reasonable grip. Then he sold the car!

My experience with Avon over the years has been mixed, likewise Pirelli. I once got though a pair of Pirelli P4 tyres in 8000 miles on the front of an Escort 1.8D - but I was younger then! Subsequent Michelin MXT tyres lasted about 15-16,000.

I'm currently running my 206 2.0 HDi on BF Goodrich Profilers. The last pair of fronts lasted 35,000 miles and gripped very well. I average 750 miles per week on all sorts of roads and previous Continental Premium Contacts used to last less than 25,000. The BFG's are also £20 each cheaper than the Conti's.

I don't know where you are but I use Headley Tyres on the A339 just south of Newbury. Often busy, but always cheap and helpful.

Reply to
Doctor D

I've had NCT5s on 4 cars now and been very happy with them.

Almost as much grip as my favourite Pirelli P6000s, but with twice the life and 75% of the cost.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

No longer available, according to me tyre dealer. I bust a NCT5 today (went through a puddle and hit a submerged something) and am having to replace both front tyres 'cos he can't match it.

Reply to
Guy King

Bollocks.

We bought 2 full sets only a month ago.... just checked the etyres site and they still have them listed.

You can order a single tyre from them and they'll fit it on your drive / in the office car park.

Reply to
SteveH

I love P6000's.

Reply to
Conor

I had a full set of Avon ZV1's fitted 2 years ago. Expensive, but "Just Tyres" had a special, so wasn't much more than I would normally pay.

They are fantastic in the wet - they just cut through standing water at speed like it isn't there. Dry grip is excellent.

Only problem is they wear like b**tards. I don't do a lot of milage, and I'm down to 3.5 or so mm on the front.

I'd get them again, but if I ended up doing 50 miles/day like I used to a few years back then I'd think twice...

HTH

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

In message , SteveH writes

I wouldn't put too much faith in that. Last time I wanted an obsolete tyre all of the online companies listed it, none of them actually had any.

Reply to
Steve Walker

I have tried Goodyear NCT's and seemed to be a decent tyre in most conditions, and Michelin Pilots which I was not that happy with and seemed 'vibrate' the car as certain speeds (any yes, they were ballanced and tracking not out !, checked at too many places too many times !)

I have a set of Good Year Eagle F1 GD-D3's and they are the best yet on the car yet, and they have rather 'groovy' (no pun intended) tread pattern which supposed to aid wet stability.

Andy.

Reply to
a.j.beddoes

Micks? Anyway. I'd go for Uniroyales...

Reply to
Doki

Vredestein Hi-Trac. Had some fitted last Autumn, still look brand new, stick like wotsit even in wet and muddy country lanes.

And my miles per tank has gone from 370 to 420 since then too, although that might be other changes in my driving ( e.g. the magic number '9' )

Reply to
PC Paul

**

No they absolutely are not. That's what I inherited with the car and they slide all over on wet roads.

FFs, would you put remoulds on a car that is capable of well over

100mph?

*plonk*

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I'm in Mansfield, Notts, and have a couple of good local suppliers.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Hmmm... I do about 50 miles a day myself.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

No, I use B&M for cheap jobs (used to teach four of their fitters so they tend to look after me!) or Steve Dunsford when I want a job done well.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Why not? Or do you travel at 'well over 100mph' everywhere?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

No, of course not. I don't travel at any speed over 100 anytime, though the car is well capable. But tyres have speed ratings for a reason. It's a big heavy car, so it needs decent grip for braking and cornering. I've experienced the back end slide when cornering at normal speeds (wife & kids in the car). Front end slide when turning at a junction with a tad too much throttle. Rear wheel spin pulling out from junctions. Fourwheel slide braking in the outside lane of the M1 (with three kids in the car, not amusing I can tell you). All on wet roads of course.

It's not the car, as this is the second example of this model I've owned, and I wouldn't have bought another if I hadn't been happy with the first. But these s**te tyres have to go, and i want to make sure their replacements will hold the road!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

The message from Chris Bolus contains these words:

What's any of that got to do with the speed rating? Speed rating just ensures that the carcase of the tyre won't seperate from the tread through centrifugal force.

Reply to
Guy King