O/T ish. Australian cars.

Hi, Just got back from a whirlwind tour or bits of AU and US and wondered if anyone had any idea why Australia gets all the big american pick-upd in RHD whilst we dont?

Just curious.

(deffo o/t) I drove from San Francisco to Lake Mead in a Buick Rendevous. Nice smooth motor, handles like a boat, scarey stuff.

Dodge magnum is a nice looking car.

Americans can't drive.

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

They may have to drive 2 light years across desert road to fuel a servo (petrol station)

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

We don't need them? Plenty of smaller Jap pick ups on the market here to suffice, also they wouldn't be exactly cost efficient without an lpg conversion as a working mans vehicle...

Reply to
REMUS

Corners.

The price of fuel.

Well quite clearly they can (c:

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Big f*ck off country. Hundreds of miles between towns. Straight roads Cheap fuel Already have their own hole in the ozone layer.

Reply to
Conor

As mentioned the fuel is cheaper.

As for RHD, well LHD cars newer than a certain age cannot be registered in Oz, so RHD conversions are needed, there is a company thta does RHD Viper conversions over there using factory quality injection moulded parts.

The Chevy Blazer was assmebled as RHD in Oz and a few hundred were imported to the UK and sold at Vauxhall garages, with predictably limited success. I'm not sure whether Vauxhall were seriously attempting to get into the market or whether they were just trying to shift excess stock.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth A.

Because petrol is 1/2 the price here. But we prefer Jap 4x4 pickups anyway. American build quality is shit and here the reliability of your 4x4 could be the difference between life and death. Which is why we don't buy much in the way of Landrovers. Landcruiser and Nissan Patrol are the offroad kings here.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Are you sure about this? We got the Suburban has RHD but not the Blazer.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

omg

RHD vipers..... mummmmy

better start saving then

I know the viper isnt the fastes or best handling car in the world, but it definately has something no other car does.

Reply to
Theo

Yeah, I guess. I didn't realise how big the place was till I got there.

Whats with the name change anyway? (NeedforSwede2) Have you become a vegilesbian? Hows the not-smoking treating you?

Reply to
conkersack

Ha! well, I suppose they can just about operate a 'car', but I'd hardly call it driving! And! Whilst I'm moaning... The state of the roads over there is rubbish! all pot holes and uneven surfaces. And juggernauts that overtake me when I'm doing 80. Jebus. /whine.

Reply to
conkersack

Yeah, although with the distances travelled by (from what I could see) y'average punter, I'm not sure this makes much of a difference.

Ah, OK, sounds like more of a reason.

Cheers Gareth.

Reply to
conkersack

Except on the Gold Coast where everyone seems to drive either s**te old ford lasers or pimped Commodores.

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

Did you make it to Perth.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Well, It was part of my original plan (have a few friends there), as was Ayres Rock, but after arsing around on the Gold coast and seeing Sydney, I somewhat inexplicably went to America. It's the Hoover Dam, it's like a big Roger-magnet.

You've got some proper cars in Australia though.

Reply to
conkersack

I bought another Saab. I have a nice C900 T16S Convertible now. Not mint, but nice, with good engine, box and shell.

The Celica is going. Bit thirsty for me. Saab is much better on petrol with the roof up, and winter is coming so it wil be most of the time. Save dropping the top for weekends on the odd occasion.

As for the smoking. I'm an ex smoker. Stuck with the patches until half way through the lowest strength ones. Then the supermarket changed brands it stocked, so I just stopped. Been two weeks without a patch or ciggy. 3 months since my last smoke. I go through about 1/2 pack of sugerfree gum a day now, don't eat much more, have swapped the crappy instant noodles for a subway lunch, and swapped the bacon/egg barm I would have most morning for a tuna or chicken salad bowl.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2

Did you drive across the Hoover dam and change time zones?

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Well done mate. You still eating shitloads of chillis or has your sense of taste come back.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Quality stuff, it's a lovely looking thing, imho. Of course, you'll have to pimp the radio...

Fair enough. Did you ever manage to get the touch screen thing going? Or did you abandon it at Saab purchasing time?

Well done, it's nice little money saver, eh?!

And it seems you've had a bit of a 'lifestyle change' (sorry for the Trisha-ness of that) into the bargain, eating good food always makes me feel better. In California I got a pound of white peaches, a pound of granny smiths, a pound of plums and three pounds of white seedless grapes all for 6 dollars. Bargain. I felt so good for that week, eating as much fruit as I could cram in my mouth. Which, I'm sure, is interesting for you.

Reply to
conkersack

Only the sliced Jalapenos on the Subs.

I just used them as a buffer between smoking and not.

Reply to
NeedforSwede2