Oo-err missus...

Heh! Well this one's almost certainly going to just get ebayed for spares or repairs - it's the only sensible thing to do.

Although.... half of me says that by getting these two major things sorted, plus another couple of minor issues, it should be all good for a bloody long time, and would be 100% then. Ok, Activas are going from £350 (in one rare case) to about £1500 or slightly more (in general they start around 700-800 quid), but I'd bet most of those won't have had major surgery like mine will have had done (if I was to go ahead with it), so potentially mine would be worth towards the upper scale of what they go for (it's a decent clean, fsh'd one). And forgetting resale values, it'd be all good in terms of carrying on owning, driving and enjoying the thing.

But it still really doesn't make financial sense to get the work done....

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Well, at least you realised. Eventually ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

I've not yet fitted it so it may be getting eBayed.

Reply to
Conor

I wasn't talking about the bonnet catch... ;-)

Reply to
PC Paul

Hi, a quick question about spare parts. Will US clutches fit UK spec cars?

Chille

C>Just been perusing the Ford Mondeo Owners Club (yes there is one) >forums.

Reply to
Chille

I'd be surprised if they didn't. Go and find a Mondeo forum or OC and see if anyone's got the parts catalogue. I'd suspect the part numbers are the same for all of them.

Reply to
Doki

Trust me, the 1.9 130 is fun in a Fabia. That too can be easily remapped to ~180 BHP, and one guy has one running a dyno-confirmed 260BHP.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

I know precisely what you mean. I can imagine some people won't want to understand.

I looked at the Fabia vRS, but unfortunately their (justified) reputation is such that they're expensive used. The higher powered Ibiza TDI models were cheaper and I preferred the "look" of the Seat.

Throw in that my local Seat dealership are not great by all accounts, but people send the Skoda guys hampers at Christmas for being wonderful, and it clouds the issue...

Reply to
DervMan

Certainly, not that much cheaper than new. They seem to hold their price.

I considered a Ibiza Cupra TDI (160 BHP), but it's expensive and rare. Also the Ibiza FR, but 5 Door ones are rare, and the local dealer is s**te (and admitted that the one 5 door they had had been taken on holiday by a salesman). I used to have an Ibiza TDI 90 (bought new in

1998), and the one dealer I used that was really good lost the franchise because they were too small.

Apparently the 160 BHP TDI in the cupra is acheived my remap, FMIC, and a bigger turbo.

My local Skoda dealer seems OK, and there was a choice of 3 vRS Fabias when I was looking.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Yes, yes and yes. Too expensive for me but then I'm tight.

I was originally looking for a TDI 110 model, but at the time it was as though Seat sold three in total and none of the three existing owners wanted to sell it. Plenty of TDI 90 models - nothing wrong with the TDI 90 but I wanted the 110.

I did find a TDI 130 but the garage wanted silly money and wouldn't move enough.

The compromise donk was the TDI 100 - same torque as the TDI 110, more or less, on paper slightly slower. Unfortunately, the few I found were all comfort specification, I wanted something a bit sportier.

So then bought a non-sporty Saab instead. :) Actually, I admit, the Seat dealer's reputation put me off.

It's described as a "unique engine" and so I believe it is. As I recall the

1.9 TDI 160 is a bit thirstier than the 130 model, presumably that bigger turbocharger. Okay so ~50 mpg rather than 60 mpg from something with a sub-8 second 0 - 62 time isn't exactly bad...

I remember musing to myself that the TDI 160 looked torque limited from the engine output figures, presumably to save the transmission, tyres, clutch or tarmac. :)

Yes - plenty of vRS models at mine. But they were expensive for a small* diesel** car.

*small ish. ** and yes VAG diesel and yes a warm hatch too.
Reply to
DervMan

I can't argue with that. ;)

Not a lot get the Ibiza serviced at the Skoda dealer. I've yet to find a good Seat dealer.

Reply to
Depresion

Yeah I could have done that, I suppose.

Not sure what it is with Seat dealerships, though: glad it isn't just me! :)

Reply to
DervMan