OT: 64bit windows help anyone?

my boss is running XP64 (i built the system and vista was still a bit shitty bout drivers at the time) he runs it cos hes also run about 6gig of ram too.

anyway hes been trying to install sony vegas 9 platinum (video software thing the full title is stupidly long) but halfway through the install process it winges on bout not been ok with 64bit windows. stupid thing is he bought and downloaded it from the sony site months ago which also says nothing about not working with xp64 just says it needs xp with sp2 or vista. bastards!

tried everything i could think off and just wondered if there is anything that might trick the program into running on a 64bit OS? i suppose only alternative is to buy sony's new software but it just seems a waste as he has paid for version 9 and not been able to even install it! was round there sorting some other stuff but spent bout 2 hours trying to trick the thing into running.

still on the plus side it was a good excuse to have a butchers at his ultima can-am with newly re-sprayed red paint and added wheel arch vents. had a quick sit in it too and it is a bit tight! promised me a ride come warmer months although the thought of 0-100 in 6 or less seconds while being 2 inches above the road in a tiny cockpit does shit me up lol but hey might be fun eh?

Reply to
Vamp

Right click on the installer executable, select compatibility mode.

Reply to
Conor

What idiot did that not Vista64, it's much better.

Ok.

Verry little Sony software works with XP64 or did a couple of months back.

You could try compatibility mode but that doesn't always work, if it has an msi file you can try running that directly with compatibility.

Reply to
Depresion

As others have suggested, you could try compatibility mode, but don't get your hopes up. Alternatively, try a dual-boot with an install of vanilla XP on a small(ish) partition. You'll only have 3GB available, of course, but that should be enough for anything up to medium-heavy video munging.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

vista at the time time was worse for shit not working! i did build the system 2 years ago now and it's still a pretty good system even now!

Reply to
Vamp

compatibility only lets you select other operating systems it doesn't give you an option saying 'run this shit in 32bit' or anything like that sadly :(

Reply to
Vamp

A 32 bit VM should work nicely on that machine. Does the video bit use hardware graphics or is it a software encoder? Most (all?) VMs won't do the hardware graphics thing.

Reply to
PCPaul

I can't help with your issue Vamp sorry, I'm just doing a mini hijack and putting in here what I asked elsewhere as well... My little Dell M1330 came with 32 bit Vista Business pre-installed, and I want to change it to 64. Do I need another CD or will the Dell operating system CD one give me the option of 32 or 64 bit, and can I use the same CD key as was used with 32? Or do I need a new CD and a new key number? Someone suggested that if I contacted Dell, they'd send me a 64 bit CD for free, and my current cd key that has been used to install 32 bit will work fine - I haven't had a chance to try that yet...

Reply to
DanB