'95 LHS 3.5L Problem

A friend has a 1995LHS 3.5L with 150K miles. Symptoms are high idle (about

1200 RPM) and intermittent engine problems. He also gets a 41 diagnostic code. I'm not sure if they are all related or not as I have not actually seen the vehicle and am trying to help him via the phone. He says he has been trying to find the source of the problem for about 9 months now but has not been successful. When the engine acts up, he says there is no pattern. It can be at low speed or on the highway cruising at high end. He says that it has never left him stranded and always seems to get better after a few minutes, sometimes by pumping the accelerator and just driving through the poor performance period.

What he has told me he has replaced thus far over the last few months are the gas filter, fuel injectors, fuel regulator and fuel pump. He tells me that he has also fixed an intake manifold leak as well and replaced several dry/cracked vacuum hoses. He says all the hoses are on and none are leaking since I thought this might have explained the high idle.

Does anyone have any ideas on what could make the engine intermittently run like cr**? He says it reminds him of a fuel delivery problem, but this is not likely given that almost everything has been replaced. He has asked for ideas and I suggested looking at his EGR since he was not sure if it had ever been replaced. I told him I would post the symptoms here to see if anyone else had encountered this previously and had a thought. Thanks in advance for your ideas and comments.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman

Were fuel rails replaced under recall? They should have been.

Did he clean throttle body?

Visit

the groups page and you can search this group for other possibilities.

Reply to
Art

Art,

The fuel rails were replaced long ago under the original recall and per my friend do not appear to be leaking. He said he put new O-rings in with a new rail when he did the injectors. (This was because he said his son broke one of the rails while doing that job.)

I didn't ask about the throttle bodies (actually there are two on this car) since I thought it would only cause a rough idle and did not affect operation beyond idle.

Another thought that has come to mind since posting the note last night is possibly the Intake Air Servo/Controller. If this wasn't working correctly it might cause the high idle speed, but would it set the code "41"?

Thanks again for the input.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Shuman