OT:Aaaaaaaaargh

Aye, I'v tried getting off 'em seriously a couple of times now (still on em though!). Nicotines has a halflife of roughly three days, so I can never decide wether patches actually make it easier (as oposed to three days cold turkey style) The other thing thats helped a few people I know is ganja (if you like it, and can afford/dont mind smoking it on its own)

Reply to
pi(obfuscated)

Took me four attempts over three years, from thirty a day to non, it is hard work, but the best way (I found) is to just stop. When you get a craving, chew gum, when it gets really bad, find a small empty room and freak out for a few minutes. Seriously, it gets rid of the edgyness/anger type crap.

You should be over the worst in a few days, after two weeks, you'll feel shit hot in comparrison (well, you might, I did!).

Forget about patches, consuming nicotine to stop nicotine addiction doesn't work, many studies have shown this. It's a marketing ploy.

Missing the physical action of the hand to mouth thing? Simple CBT to re-associate to something useful, brushing your teeth for example (think how pleased your dentist will be!)

Best bit about giving up? Sheer amount of money saved! (and gleaming teeth...) Worst bit? Thinking can become a bit cloudy as nicotine is a memory aide (depends how much you smoked in the first place though, I suppose) but this will clear up.

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

Like a toilet cubicle......

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Thought about that. The odd pipe never heard me before, but I do need to drive to work and back every day. Might have it's downsides monday to friday.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I'm feeling better already on aptch, but no ciggies, and I now have more time.

First thing I want to do is break the physical habit. Breaking the chemical addiction will actually be easier I reckon.

God they would love me at work with a bottle of water, a tube of toothpaste and a spit-toon. Can it do any damage to brush your teeth twice an hour for 15 hours a day.

Regularly smoked 2-3 thin rollups an hour, 15 hours a day for 15 years.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Fair play, I forgot to add the 'whatever works for you' bit.

Well, they can get used to it. If you ever have to listen to inane crap from them, this could be your revenge? I dunno.

Well, erm, errr, brush softly? ha!

Is that all? Why are you bothering to give up you pussy?

Cheers.

Reply to
Roger Melly

Yup - it'll wear them. The abrasive element is toothpaste though - the brush should be soft enough not to hurt enamel.

(I think some dentists have the pictures of what excessive brushing results in)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

LOL !

Reply to
Nom

weak tbh

Reply to
Theo

Couldn't find whole pickled Jalapenos, so i ended up buying pickled Bird Eyes.

Very tasty. Eaten about 20 today (about a third of a jar). They think I'm insane at work, but it is stopping me thinking about ciggies.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I really wouldn't advocate smoking ganja early in the day (at least, on a regular basis) I was more thinking of having it sat at home in reserve for when you've had a hard day of absintence from anything. Incentive kind-of.

Reply to
pi(obfuscated)

Do a google search for emphysema - the disease that kiled my father. He died in a hospital bed - basically drowned in the fluid in his lungs because they were in such a bad condition.

Anyway - read up on emphysema and print it out and carry it with you. If that doesn't help, nothing will.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

Oh I know all about the nasties. My dad had what was thought to be Pneumonia, turned out to be Pluresy. had to carve him open. He has a scar from the base of his ribs at the front, right round to the back, he stopped for 2 years after that. He is smoking again. But, I'm going to quit. 3 days in now. The patches are working. I don't want nicotine. and the Chillis are working. Thing is, I'm building a 15 a day pickled chillis habit.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Good Man.

I'm sure you'll lose the chilli habit easily enough in a few weeks.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

If I don't lose my large intestine first.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar