OT:Digicams

Was at a wedding yesterday and was surprised to see the photographer using a

35mm film camera - had two Eos bodies, one film, one digital. Others I've been to recently have had either two digitals or a digital and a medium format.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

So, Fraser, did this post help you make a purchasing decision? When you make a choice, let me know please. I want a good camera for my RTW trip.

Reply to
fishman

"digital camera".. "wife".. "f*ck around".. ooerr, fnarr fnarr etc ;-)

seriously though, I'd also highly recommend Fuji Finepix.. any model in the

5-6 megapixel area should do you nicely.

Bigus

Reply to
Bigus

I think I'm going to go a Panasonic. Not decided on the model yet. I'll let you know and post some pics once I get it.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Bear in mind a good camera for a RTW trip isn't necessarily the same as a good camera for a planned photo shoot. Size, weight and battery life could well be rather more important, as could things like being able to run on AA batteries if you're miles from a charger for a while.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I aggree with AstravanMan on Olympus being a good solid camera, I have the Olympus MJU400, 4 Megapixel and is a decent size camera, It's own Li-on rechargeable battery, and can be picked up around =A3130 now I believe.

Lordy.UK

Reply to
Lordy. UK

Definately- had 3 FinePix's now, all very excellant. Roadtested acouple of different makes at the time of upgrade, but still bought the Fuji's.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Agreed. I bought a Fuji E550 end of line job from Amazon a few months ago. Great camera.

The only addition I made was to make myself a D cell battery pack so if I couldn't charge the AA cells it takes, I could stick some 'regular' D cells in this pack and carry on. Regular AA cells just ain't got the cranking amps for digital cameras.

Fraser - if you want, I could post some example pics from my camera. Dunno if it'll help, but the offer is there.

Reply to
conkersack

Yea same here if you wanna see what the pikier end of the scale brings :) Mind you, £140 is like, $6,000,000 aussie dollars isn't it ;) ?

Reply to
DanTXD

Mine all take Li-On packs. I've never had an issue with battery life, except when shooting entirely indoors with the flash and filling up the 256mb cards i use, where it can begin to die after about 150 shots.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

"Cranking amps" - LOL!

What you want is to invest in some decent AA batteries, with as high a mAh value as you can find. Get some rechargeables - they won't be cheap, but you'll be literally amazed at the difference they make compared to pikey £1/pack AA batteries. My Olympus camera used to eat up cheap Panasonic batteries after not more than an hour of taking photos, but with these other ones (2300mAh, about 15 quid from Dixons, could probably get them a bit cheaper if you shopped around) they happily lasted a whole day, and most of another, before wanting recharging. Worth every penny IMHO, and saves you wasting time making up silly oversized battery packs.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Only if the camera's got a BMW badge.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

The battery grip potion on my Cannon addresses both possible battery issues but makes it even more bulky and heavy especially when running from AA's rather than a pair of rechargeable. For a RTW trip I'd be looking at something more compact probably a Nikon and loads of storage (preferably spread across a few cards that you won't be keeping with the camera so that if something happens to it you don't loose all your photos.

Reply to
Depresion

When my 6v pack dies in my RC car I use 4 2800mah rechargeable AAs - that basically last forever - driving 2 Hi-Torque servos and the radio gear.

Reply to
DanTXD

The real problem is going to be how much do you want to pay, and how bulky the thing is. A D200 Nikon, (or D50 / 70) with the new 18/200 VR lens and say 4x 4gb flash cards would work out about 2300 quid and be bulky. It would have instant start up time and almost instantaneous shooting, with brilliant quality pics under more extreme conditions.

But its big, heavy, etc.

A point and shoot type thing generally have noisier (smaller sized - not pixels) sensors and crappy lens quality, less accurate focus and exposure/white balance etc

But they are small and easy to use. And massively cheaper.

What about a minolta a200 because its in the middle here...

It all depends on whether you really want an easy life or good pictures! You cant really have both.

Reply to
Burgerman

What about the four-thirds cameras from Olympus et.al. interchangeable lenses, SLR viewfinder, 50% image size and lens size.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You (the general you) need to decide what your definition of 'good' is. Is the target huge wall-sized prints, or a web site for you + family/mates?

And of course what really makes a good picture is the photographer, not the camera...

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Of course. But a good photographer with a noisy ccd, a bad focussing point and shoot (many only have 5 steps!) and a less than sharp/lots of c aberation etc lens will still have a worse picture than he wanted!

It depends on how you define good! I didnt spend 2k plus because thought it was a good way to throw money away but because I understand the difference and want good pics!

Reply to
Burgerman

Yeah, I'm aware of this, my recharable AAs are all 2600mAh NiMh jobs, they are pretty good. But I was refering to when I couldn't get to a charging thing - the D cell pack I tinkered into life works a treat with regular chemistry cells. Another plus point (for me, anyroad) is that if I'm taking pics outdoors on a cold day, the home-made pack sits nice and warm in my inside-jacket pocket, extending shooting times even further.

Got to be honest though, I only really made the pack to see if it would work - the application of it was a nice side-effect.

Thinking about it now, I should have gotten some ni-cad sub-C cells, the types used by radio controlled cars and used them, they would have been cheeper, and would have done a sterling job, I'm sure.

Cheers.

Reply to
conkersack

140 quid will buy you a new house here. And leave you enough change to buy yourself a couple of v8 muscle cars to park in the 4 car garage. : )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston