OT:Digicams

Someone's a bit out of date ;)

But, keep up the good work. Ilford are releasing new toners, you might be interested to know.

(And 35mm? Pah. 120).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Go and try a Sigma SD10.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Archiving images is still a problem. I use a Firestar RAID array right now as a review unit, but if I had it permanently the drives would be on a 2 year replacement cycle anyway. I know they last longer, I know I have 20 year old computers with functioning, original HDs, but modern ones are less reliable.

Flash-type memory, write once and never erase, cheaper than film, is the future. Archive in folders, and have the equivalent of a filing cabinet's worth of RAW files, like storing negatives, in one folder.

Life expectancy of flash is about 100 years, apparently - but writing messes with file structure and can potentially make them unreadable.

Of course, having the technology to read the cards in the medium to long term might be fun.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Go and find a Sigma SD10.

The Foveon chip is something else though.

Now if they'd put something like that chip in a Leica M body - that would be the ultimate in pocket digicam.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

If I were still in the biz I'd be archiving to paper + DVD rom in lightsafe albums. Magnetic tape can be readable for a long time too - so maybe DDS as a secondary digital medium.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

When PMA is over I can make a call and see who has them still. But I've got one right here, with EF DG500, battery grip, couple of lenses... Last Focus they were flogging them for £549 (mine was bought at launch). This Focus, the Sigma stand was so busy I didn't get to speak to anyone, but I need to get some more DG lenses for review.

Yes. The more cameras I use, the more I want a 'higher res' Foveon. Hell, I don't even care about the res. I just want a Foveon camera that fits in my car glovebox like the Pentax *ist DL I'm reviewing (nice little camera, very user-friendly).

But, everyone is going for Sony's CCDs. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but it does tend to make choosing a camera rather a frustrating experience, in that the differences are software and lens mounts.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Mag tape, sure. But DVD-ROM? It's awful. Either very expensive, or painfully unreliable.

I'd like to see the return of slide writers, at a suitably high resolution, as an archival device. But then we're back to chemicals, and mess. Ultimately there is no digital format which will be totally future proof.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

Understandable though - my choice for my digicam - the Panasonic DMC-LX1 has so much CCD noise from its Panasonic chip it's a poor choice for night photos or anything needing higher ISO settings. Nice bright lens, nice format (16:9) and wide angle.

Agree with you on the *ist DL - nearly bought one (all my 35mm stuff is Pentax) but I do so little photography these days (take a lot of pics, don't put much thought into it) that getting a better compact seemed like the right thing to do.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Oooh yeah - the old Polaroid palette - killed off by the data projector...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

I've got one kicking about. Has an EGA connector on it, IIRC ;)

Richard

Reply to
RichardK