OT: Direct Acces Bike training.

What does it cost on average to pass ones CBT, probably theory since it is 5 years since my car theory test, and direct access bike training and test?

I've decided, as an insentive to lose weight. If I can drop 3 stone, I'm taking my bike test.

Reply to
Elder

No idea, but you're more likely to die on one with an engine rather than pedals if you ask me.

Reply to
Doki

CBT, using your own bike stings £80 round here, £120 to use one of theirs. Helmet, £100ish minimum really, decent jacket and trousers at least £100 again - although I've never owned these I know I should and I can testify even small offs HURT without them.... Direct Access is around the £500 mark for a 6 day course, including a CBT, bike hire, and all equipment hire.

Reply to
DanTXD

Cheers Dan.

I've had a few offs in my much younger days when I had a few bikes, and=20 geared peds on L plates, tended to stick to the lanes rather than the=20 main roads because 30-50 was so slow, so at least you could have fun=20 changing direction flat out.

What I quite fancy is something cheap and simple like one of the eastern=20 block 4 strokes based arround pre-war versions of the old BMW twin=20 engines. Something custom shaped and arround 600/650cc.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Elder

Cheers Dan.

I've had a few offs in my much younger days when I had a few bikes, and geared peds on L plates, tended to stick to the lanes rather than the main roads because 30-50 was so slow, so at least you could have fun changing direction flat out.

What I quite fancy is something cheap and simple like one of the eastern block 4 strokes based arround pre-war versions of the old BMW twin engines. Something custom shaped and arround 600/650cc.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

"Bob Sherunckle" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Another Dnepr fan?

Reply to
Tunku

Don't is all I can say. Just don't.

They may look like BMWs and be based on old BMW designs, but, like an Enfield India, that's where the similarity ends.

They do tend to require regular 'fettling' to keep 'em going, not that you're a stranger to that ;-)

Seriously, I opted for a cheap Chinese Honda copy - but I do (vaguely) know what I'm doing. A Dneper etc is just asking for trouble - especially for the novice biker.

Reply to
SteveH

snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) wrote in news:1hifm7m.z85h1k1ucxa2cN% snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk:

Which is probably why they come with the biggest toolkit ever to be bundled with a vehicle. :-)

Reply to
Tunku

That is half of the fun. Although I have to be honest, I have always also had a soft spot for Moto Guzzi and Laverda.

Reply to
Elder

Remember, I've had two 4 stoke carbed tappet adjust pushrod engined cars, and 3 turbo OHC jobbies. And I've done work on all three. If you can keep a Jikov carb tuned, you can do anything.

I like old and simple.

Reply to
Elder

Dnepr/Ural/Cossack/Soviet Knight. All good.

Reply to
Elder

You'll get that, yes.

You'll also get weekends in the garage fixing it instead of riding it.

Reply to
SteveH

Nah, always managed to get the old Estelle out. Normally one a month check the idle and mixture (it was 50k miles old Soviet era quality ruber o-rings), check oil, water. Once a year check the points and the timing.

Thing is, the newer russian/former russian bikes are actually keeping the old designs, but building them to modern standards. Did you know when you buy them, you can even get the service book stamped if you service it your self, and a discount off the parts. If you buy the parts from the dealer and he sees that you have bought everything for the correct service for the mileage

Reply to
Elder

*shrugs*

It's entirely your choice, of course. But there's a bloody good reason that I don't know anyone who's bought one. Well, apart from the one guy who bought one fore a couple of hundred quid complete with sidecar, crashed it, and can't be arsed to fix it.

They're really not something that should be sold in the modern world - an almost guaranteed way to put anyone off riding for life.

Reply to
SteveH

I really do find this

attractive, especially with the risers and low wider hooligan bars.Or Something for the Dervman to go alongside the Saab TiD

Elder

As if by magic -

That one :-) ?

Reply to
DanTXD

I really like that. And I love the "The rest is as nasty as it looks but went well enough; was reliable and had a reasonable turn of speed (60ish for a Russian outfit is in the disturbing band of reasonable)." bit. note it is reliable or was until it took off and left him.

Thing that worries me is the continental rather than UK mounted side car. Modern Urals And the like have UK mountings.

Reply to
Elder