Utterly OT - 220mph bike ride

Got mailed this at work, and I know some of the regulars here are bikers.

I'm not condoning this, but you might check the speed at which the front wheel leaves the deck, and the speed it comes back down again.

Disclaimer: Utterly irresponsible, criminal even. Do Not Try This At Home.

Richard Brookman

Nice! erm, I mean terrible, how irresponsible.

Wish I was still allowed a bike :( Better keep that page to myself, if my wife gets to see it I'll never be able to persuade her that I should get another one! 'spose she's right, not the most sensible of vehicles when you have 2 young uns. At least she can't complain that the RR isn't sensible / safe / big enough etc etc!

Matt ex-biker :(

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

To 220mph in under 25 seconds. What bikes that then?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Now drive off a really high cliff and see what the terminal velocity pans out as.

Physicists I'm looking for equations here :)

Reply to
Larry

Bob Hobden wrote: >

Suzuki Hyabusa? (probably can't spell it, sorry)

Reply to
jermec

A Hyabusa I think. Someone at uk.rec.motorcycles (aka UKRM) will probably know.

That's the thing about motorbikes - *acceleration!* My Fazer is 0-60mph in just under 4 seconds[1]. What sort of car would you need to achieve that and how many times more expensive than my bike would it be?

Mind you, that video is pretty dull as far a bike videos go. It's all speed in a straight line with no other traffic. It might as well be on a race track.

[1] The North-bound J34 sliproad on the M6 is fun. It's not a sliproad, it's a T-junction!
Reply to
PDannyD

Ultima GTR, 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, about 50K.

"Bugatti" (really VW) Veyron, 0-60 in 2.7 seconds, about 850K!

Guess which is the brit ;-)

My 16-year-old Lotus Esprit, 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, worth about 2p in its current state :-(

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Not a great junction when you're trying to get onto the M6 in an old diesel landie! But made up for with that lovely sweeping curve @ south-bound exit J33 - I had my car sideways there once - and a big grin on my face when I managed to control it and looked at the faces of the terrified people behind me :) you do some daft things when you are young!

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

On or around Thu, 9 Feb 2006 22:03:52 -0000, "Richard Brookman" enlightened us thusly:

at least he's not daft enough to include identifying details, unlike the bloke with the ferrari a bit back who got nicked using his video as evidence.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not necessarily criminal - depends where it was shot. Doesn't appear to be in the UK.

Reply to
Mother

Also notice that the speedo peaks at the 220 mark when the rev counter is still on the rise, a possible top end of 230- 240.

Suzuki Hayabusa turbo with nitrous maybe?

Lofty

...and Mother"

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Pardon my cynicism but does it REALLY look like the landscape is going past at 220mph???

Al.

Reply to
737flf

That's what I thought. Those white lines must be very spaced out. I have a Honda Blackbird and at 170/180 things appear to go much faster than that. I might tape the Sony on the tank next time I go to France.

Reply to
Danny

It's because the camera sees things differently to the eye. dynamic movement is diminished on camera, including speed and scale, see how lowly F1 cars seem to be travelling on screen.. If the video camera's shutter speed was set at higher than 50 for example the blur reduction effect would produce that slightly slowed down staccato sharpness to the white lines. I suspect that the film is indeed genuine. Was it 220 mph or 220 kph, that'd only be 137.5 mph. Still the acceleration was impressive. It's a legal bit of speeding on a German autobahn.

Reply to
mv

It was 220mph (although I'd be surprised if the speedo was that accurate) If you look at the speedo you will see kph marked on the inside of the mph markers.

Although that's obviously a very fast bike, I don't think any biker would be particularly surprised at how fast it gets to that sort of speed. Why do you think we like them so much :-)

Anyone figure out what that bike was? I don't recognise it, and I thought all the newer fast bikes (Hayabusa etc) had the speed indicated with an LCD and just the rpm on a dial.

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

...and 737flf spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Does to me. The sound of the gear changes, rev counter movement, dipping of front forks etc all seem to match. Unless it's a 250 and the speedo is in kph.

Why be cynical? There are plenty of bikes about that will do 220, and plenty of nutters to ride them to the limit. What impressed me was the wheelie between 50 and 140. That takes nerve.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I got pulled for trailing my knee round a roundabout on a Fireblade. The lecture started with 'young man' but when I got the helmet off I was clearly older than he was.

We settled for a telling off and a grovel. I do a good grovel.

nigelH

***
Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

I once pulled a wheelie on the A40 on a glorious sunny very quiet sunday morning. Dropped it at the next (red) lights only to find a police bike next to me, signalling me over. I thought I was in big trouble until he raised his visor and said "sometimes you just have to do it" and rode off...

Reply to
Danny

I'm really starting to enjoy getting to be older than the average copper

- they hand out significantly less attitude when you're older than them.

Reply to
EMB