OT: Ebay whinge

Has Ebay become a complete waste of time for flogging stuff? There seems to be a far higher idiot to decent bidder ratio since the new feedback rules came in...

I've recently listed a load of textbooks - the postage is limited at £2.75 by the rules, which has no chance of paying for the postage on an average book. Out of 10 items sold so far, I've had one non-paying bidder, and two who paid several days late, meaning two sets of queuing up at the PO. By the time it's clear that the bidder is hoping my auction will go away, the second chance offer is worthless as anyone else who wanted the item will have bought another.

Bloody irritating, particularly as with textbooks there's a window during September and October when you'll get decent prices. I'm off to try out Amazon...

Reply to
Doki

Didn't realise postage had been limited to £2.75 - for just books I guess??

That's a right PITA as we were going to list a load of Science / Maths text books today. Lame

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I think it has been applied to a lot of categories.

Yep, pain in the arse. If they're the kind of books you have for GCSE or A-level, a lot of them are probably best given to local charity shops. A lot of books update annually, so something that's only a couple of years old becomes pretty much worthless. Uni books (barring the odd introductory text) tend to hold up far better.

Reply to
Doki

I don't list books anywhere but on Amazon these days. Anything else is a massive PITA IME.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

For postage you just have to select "Courier: Heavy and bulky items" and then you can specify your own postage cost.

Probably best.

Reply to
Homer

Amazon is quite nice in a "list and forget" style , but their postage is also capped at below the cost and you'll also be competing with business sellers who pay lower fees and list stuff for 1p plus postage.

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

It has. Quite often at £0.00

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

And then deal with the muppets who didn't bother reading the listing and didn't pay anything for postage.

Reply to
Dr Zoidberg

£7 for mobile phones as I've just found out. Cost me £6.70 in post office plus more than 30p for the wrapping so I'm out of pocket.

DVD/CD have to be listed as free.

Reply to
Conor

Set it as the only option for shipping

Reply to
Abo

Yes it's s**te. They are looking after all their big powersellers who generate all the revenue for them and trying to shrug off the occasional user who is trying to sell some old stuff.

It's cheaper to take it to the charity shop!

You do get a lot of daft questions that could be answered by RTFL. I'm astounded at the amount of European buyers too - but the strong Euro could account for that.

Sunday evening used to be prime selling time but now X factor is on, listings ending at that time are now getting crap money (took SWMBO to point the X factor thing out to me). D'oh!

Reply to
fishman

I assume you send the goods then the Paypal payment gets reversed 2 days or whatever later when the funding source is found to be fake.

Reply to
Conor