OT Fiat Red key

I have a friend who has an 06 Punto with no red key from the dealer, now there backpeddling as fast as they can so my question is, how much would it cost you or I to get Fiat to fix the problem? Is it a new ECU and locks etc?

Thanks for any help.

Alan

Reply to
Alan

There are third parties that can recode the ECU. I did have details in a magazine- I'll look.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Thanks, could you let me have the details, but in this exercise the dealer is prepared to pay her some money in compensation, she would like to know what it would have cost her if she had to go down this route.

Thanks Alan

Reply to
Alan

Phone another dealer and ask them how much?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

"Alan" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Didn't they stop using the red "Do Not Lose Or Else" master key some time quite a bit before '06?

Reply to
Adrian

I thought so...

Reply to
DanB

If that's the case, don't tell the dealer ;-)

TBH, if anybody *should* know, they should. That's why they charge the exorbitant amounts they do, isn't it?

Reply to
PCPaul

I suspect the car wasn't bought 2nd hand from a Fiat dealer, I think the OP just a car dealer, not a Fiat one.

Reply to
DanB

I half take it back. But a dealer charges more than a private seller, nominally and partly because of the 'value-added' you get because they are knowledgeable about cars.

If they don't know or can't find out about this and they pay up anyway then that's their (avoidable) loss.

Reply to
PCPaul

I think I chucked the magazine: it was 'Car Mechanics'

but I reckon these were the people:
I think they'll do it by post.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Err is this the current shape Punto?

If so, then there is no red key, just two blues and number tab. Fiat stopped doing the silly red key thing with the old model..

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Yes. ISTR it was only an issue on mid-90s cars. Don't think the Marea had a master key, actually and that was a 98.

Reply to
SteveH