OT I'm being priced off the road...

In the true spirit of this newsgroup, I'm being priced off the road. So it feels. Thing is, I can't justify spending so much on insurance when I take
the bus to work and as much as I enjoy the Saab, it's not special enough. I take the bus to work, I maybe drive once a week because it's there, mostly I don't need to...
I'm thinking, shed time or City Car subscription.
--
The DervMan

Even a shed takes a bit of running these days.
Not the answer to you problem, but here's my current saver. For the last 9 months or so, I've been car sharing with another local guy to get to work. In the last few weeks we've found someone else to add to the mix. So, now I drive one week in three.
It's a little bit of hassle the week you're driving, but a whole load of saving the weeks you're not. Sheds always have been an always will be the most cost effective solution, but you do get royally fed up with it eventually.
On Sun, 08 May 2011 12:07:27 +0100, DervMan wrote:

MK1 MX-5, classic insurance policy.
--
Mike P

Is the right answer.
They're a tad thirsty for the likes of Dervy, though.
--
SteveH

On Mon, 09 May 2011 18:31:25 +0100, SteveH wrote:

I can't imagine him wringing it's neck everywhere, though it does get very addictive. Anyway, the fortune he'll save on insurance he can spend on some fuel - which is optional really, as he can either drive it or not. Insurance isn't optional.
--
Mike P

On 10/05/11 1:31 AM, SteveH wrote:

Thirsty? My girlfriends has better fuel consumption than my VFR 800.
Fraser

VFRs are quite thirsty.
But I reckon mine and my old VFR800 would be closely matched - around 32mpg.
--
SteveH

On 10/05/2011 12:49, SteveH wrote:

Are you trying to send Dervy the same way as you? :-)

If you go for a shed, make it a pre-2000 vehicle. The tax on the Jeep rockets this year and despite being LPG the tax almost doubles so the tax will be more than the insurance. Apparently the limit on VED for older gas guzzlers was only temporary.
On 09/05/2011 09:04, Steve Firth wrote:

Pre-March 2001?
Also, where's the bit about the 2001-2006 band K limit going? Or is the Jeep tax changing from something else to band K?
'Course, being Dervy, shed might be something with a smaller-than-4-litre engine :-)

Yes thanks, I knew that neither of my pre 2000 cars qualify for high VED but I couldn't remember the cut-off date.

Here:
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/vehicle-excise-duty /
Nope, the Jeep is going from K to M.

If he buys an import the pre 2001 VED applies I'm tempted to get another Exploder to replace the Jeep, a newer import if I can find one with leather seats.
On 09/05/2011 22:30, Steve Firth wrote:

There's lots of mention of the change being postponed, but no mention of till when. The very bottom table says it's still there this year - April 2011, presumably at least till April 2012.
I couldn't find anything on the DVLA site saying the 2001-2006 K band was going to be taken off.
On 08/05/2011 12:07, DervMan wrote:

I bought a bike. Its a mountain bike but I ride it on short journeys instead of taking thw car.
I also ride it like I stole it on trails...

Good man :) What is it; anything interesting?
--
Lordy.UK

On 21/05/2011 20:31, Lordy.UK wrote:

No its an Apollo Phaze bike-shaped-object but it does the job for now. Big birthday next year so I'm dropping Cube-shaped hints already...