OT: IT Professional in this group

You know what I mean. 70 hours a week in a car / various offices = much less pleasant than spending your time outdoors.

Reply to
Doki

I've got a mate doing a sandwich course placement in IT for a big consultancy firm. If they take him on after he graduates, he'll be on 40k a year. He's already working 60 hours week in the office, then starts working over the weekend. He comes up with the flow charts and architecture guff for the outsourced bods in India to code from. To me, the idea of working 60 hours a week for someone else for very long at all is horrible. I'd sooner have a less cash and more time to myself.

OTOH, they may just treat all placement bods like shit, in the knowledge that they're all desperate to get a career.

Reply to
Doki

Learn COBOL :)

Computers are going to be here a while, but I would sugest a career in plumbing. It is what I will do if/when the market goes bellyup.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

CobolSbobol i'm preparing in advance for the 2038 bug. That will be the biggy.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Concur with that.

Last time I was interviewing people, I did not care about education so much as previous experience. You are not going to get many promotions within the same company either. Best moving about every few years (depending on the market of course).

Like others have said, I would not expect great shakes money wise until quite a few years have passed. I started in IT on 6k/year (operations) and then went to 10k/year.. then 20k.. now um.. some more.

Contracting is a good aim to go for - but they are going to need to do a good few years in permieland first - otherwise they will find it hard to get a contract.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

I can earn nearly that driving lorries up here in York.

Reply to
Conor

Outdoors isn't such a great place, with all that pollution from cars, and offices.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Not nice in the wind/rain/snow either.

------------------------------------------------ "We are all individuals" "I'm not!"

Reply to
Carl Smith

If you get a HGV licence be sure to warn us, as we know what you can do with a Ka...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

What's the going rate for someone starting out in lorry driving? I could do with some more cash, and a HGV licence is liable to be handy too being as I can't even drive a 7.5 tonner on my car licence.

Reply to
Doki

Heh, that would be wild to see...

I've thought about getting a 7.5tonne licence (is it C1 its called?) just for a laugh and seeing if its worth taking any further.

Its a requirement for being an ambulance driver apparently, which is something I looked into for a while.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

in news:1102070005.KhPf3oxV3Y4BkKncdMbdDw@teranews, "fishman" slurred :

Um. They look quite similar in Babylonian numerals, I suppose. If you had to do the entire course using ancient babylonian, I'm not surprised you found it hard going :-)

Reply to
Albert T Cone

"Albert T Cone" wrote

LOL! Seriously though, I always get 4 and 7 confused. And with numbers in general - I am really slow at processing them. I think I have an iBrain SX - without the maths coprocessor

Reply to
fishman

Depends where you live as its a regional thing. In the Midlands its up=20 to =A310/hr. In the M25 it was =A313-=A316/hr four years ago so I don't kno= w=20 what it is now.

--=20 Conor

Legal leeching....

Conor

Don't. Get the Category C. C allows you to drive up to 32 tonne rigids. The school vehicles drive essentially the same and the cost of the course is the same but you'll actually be able to earn more money out of it.

Reply to
Conor

Not me, but then again maths has nothing much to do with numbers so innumeracy shouldn't be a drawback. Most of the mathematicians I know can't balance a chequebook.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Tell them to do something that gets them on a merchant bankers or city investment firms management fast track to bluechip company director by

  1. Anything that involves real work or expert scientific knowledge don't pay 1/10th as much. Research the biog of as many blue chip co directors as they can, then work out what to do to get some of the same.

If they must do a computing course avoid Computing (BIT) (business information technology) and do Computing Science. Almost everything more technical than printer paper monitor duties can be out sourced. Can't outsource staff training to overseas but it's mainly short term contracts. Maths and Economics is a far better bet though. It's also vital to ensure the University of choice is the right one for that subject and the careers it leads to.

Avoid trendy easy subjects like Forensic science or Media studies. A high ranking member of police recently slated the Forensic science as a being a study of a few high profile cases when the job is more slog and sheer manpower to sift though lots of disgusting rubbish.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Unix will be gone by then!! ;-) (better get ready and make a hat from spaghetti) The Tech-PC Dell twin 2.8GHz Xeon 3Gb memory and huge hard disk landed on my desk a month ago to sit alongside the Sunblade 1500 that arrived last Easter. Once all the tech apps have been ported or replaced (UG teamcenter PLM is replacing CADDS5 and PDM) the Sun will go. Expect about 1-2 years.

All the regular plumbing courses and jobs have been filled by maths and science teachers / lecturers (look at how many Uni's closed the engineering/physics/chem courses and expensive to run labs in the last

5 years). You will have to re-think, painter/decorator, builder, carpenter, electrician, heating engineer, hey what about car or HGV mechanic?
Reply to
Peter Hill

Sheffieldish. Does an SP30 and being young matter?

Reply to
Doki

I've got a degree level education, work for an aero engine maker as a stress engineer. I could earn more money driving and operating a cack hand drive gutter and drain cleaner with occasional gritting duties.

Reply to
Peter Hill