some people in this group just dont get it

Slagging me off for modding a cavalier,

I do what i do to it because I want to,

I dont go and buy a expensive car because A i have other hobbies to throw silly money at and B i like the ability to get bored of it in a few months time and sell it for a loss of a couple of hundred quid at the most,

We (as a family) have 3 cars atm a nice sensible reliable punto that the wife uses day to day, the cavalier which i use when i need to ie weekends and evenings and the sorry looking nova thats been banished to the bottom of the garage for all of eternity,

Why cant the people in this group accept I happen to have taken a shining to the cavvy and want to mod it (I challenge everyone on this group to find me a shell as mint and as straight as the one i have in a GSi or a 16v Sri. doubt it can be done or at least not for less than 1500 quid. My point being i can have a solid base to start from and fit some modifications to suit my personal taste(no not yours but mine).

Cavvy is modified to suit me and me alone, i'm happy with the direction its taking.

i mean its lowered 60mm on stock(ish) 15's it looks nice it doesnt need to handle all that great (i mean i dont really see me throwing it through contraflows at silly bugger speeds. it doesnt get ragged round backroads and i doubt it will ever see a track. Deal with it, the polybushes went on as i had them sitting spare and a few of the stock ones were beyond servicable,

Right now i've made it clear it isnt being modified to handle, i hope you realise that it isnt being modified to look pretty either, I like my cav for what it is A BIT OF FUN,

thats why i'm going to fit a nice 2l 8v lump to it along with a few cheap modifications (because i can and i want to )

yes i could sell it and buy a sri but why bother?

i'd only modify that in some way too,

at the end of the day no matter what YOU own someone out there will dislike it and if you cant get along and play nicely in here then you shouldnt be here,

the uk car modification scene is one of differing tastes,

personally i like 80's retro(mk1 astra's and s1 rs turbos) and thats my choice, some people like spunking money on bodykits personally i think whats the point but thats THEIR choice,

i mean take for example Vamp who has a nice MR2 turbo nice car and yes theres things on it i like and things i dont(2 seater for a start). but its His idea of the right car and yes its right for him, i'm sure that if i felt the urge i could have got myself an mr2 or for that matter any car but i didnt, I have a cavvy because A i like it and B it sort of got dumped on me, either way i'm happy with it so do me a favour,

If you aint got anything constructive to say then say f*ck all, i'm sure i'm not the only one getting fed up with the snipers in here :)

Reply to
Rob

80's retro = VW corrado, Lancia Delta / Dedra, Tipo Sedicivalvole, 205 (spit), XJS etc. 80's junk = Astra, Escort, AX, 309, Nova etc.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

play nice now Tim,

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Reply to
Rob

Given that the Corrado came out in 1993 or whatever... Heheheheh.

Actuually, as the very epitome of 80s junk obsessives, I really would rather like a Mk 1 Astra GTE. Not as much as another Golf Mk II or even better, a Mk 1 Campaign.

Actually, I'm going to pick up on that Tipo, too - but I'd forgotten they existed. Wouldn't mind one of those. Did they have the digital dash like the DGT?

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

Shoud that not read 80's rustbuckets? ^^

Since when has a Fiat Tipo been a retro car?

Everyone has there own Retro 80's cars, mine are RS turbo's, Sierra Cosworth's, Astra GTE , Renault 5 GT turbo.

Some people are from the italian Fiat strada camps, and others like me are from the Fast ford camp.

Each to their own.

Reply to
Ronny

Cavs are still s**te though ;)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

ITYF it came out in 89 or 90 :-) Plenty of G platers about.

I had a 309 GTI, quite liked it. Shame it was so willfully ugly.

The Mk1 Astra GTE was probably the nearest GM got to a decent FWD car, I reckon.

That's compared to stuff like the early XR3i, but I don't mind those either. If they're utterly standard and immaculate.

Golf Mk2 Urinates all over the pair of 'em though.

No :-).

Cracking car the Tipo 16v. There used to be a real oddball 3dr 16v round here with ooodles of Abarth bits on.

Reply to
Pete M

In news:f_3Sd.342$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe1-gui.ntli.net, Rob decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Cos they're s**te.

I can understand that, I just wish you'd get something better to play with.

The thing is, for the couple of months in the middle, you have to drive a Cavalier. I'd pay £200 to *not* have to drive one, and I was subjected to them when they were new. They were crap then.

Congratulations.

I can accept what you're doing, we've probably all modded some hopeless chunk of ill handling s**te before now.

I stuck a tuned 1.8 (135 bhp) Nissan engine in a Datsun 100A for a laugh, but it was never going to be my everyday motor. Just did it to see if it could be done. It could. Was a laugh for the couple of days it lasted before the gearbox terminally lunched itself and I went off to build something less silly.

That'll be torque steer ;-)

It's truly dealt with. Not understood, but dealt with.

So it's fun to destroy suspension geometry? Why not just drive it into a wall?

Enjoy

Because it'll be a better car.

Oh, yes. I forgot it was you we're dealing with.

I'm going nowhere :-D

Obviously. Some people even like Jap cars.

Even you've got to admit there's nothing uglier than a S1 Turbo with a nasty bodykit and afterburner rear lights. Standard ones look quite.... purposeful.

Fuck all, Fuck all, Fuck all, Fuck all....

No, I can't. I'm still going to take the piss.

Reply to
Pete M

1990. I keep forgetting the Scirocco carried on alongside it for a while. Still, hardly an 80s car IMO.

I could just about stomach an RS1600i.

Totally. In every regard.

Bugger. I liked the DGT dashboards.

I do remember seeing them around, but not for a long time. The subframes rotted on my Tempra 1.8, so perhaps the Tipos suffer the same fate.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

So you've always had bad luck with cars then?

The Cavalier was OK, once in the early 1980s, but the Manta was better. All the FWD Cavs have been s**te, up to and including the Vectra. In fact they just get worse.

Anyway if you don't care what anyone else thinks, why are you pissing and moaning?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Heh - forgot about the cossies, and the quattros of course. Problem with cossies is normally the owners, last one I saw was when I filled up on the north circular and a bunch of guys came in to get their optimax, pulled up the pump then proceeded to rev the engine to show off the ptischhh dump valve... what a waste.

Strada Abarth / TC130s.. now they were deadly fun...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

That's 'cause you often saw them, but never owned one. There wasn't a digidash from the 80s that was reliable, senator / astra / fiat / whatever - they were all crap.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Hmmm. I have owned with a digital dashboard:

Fiat Tipo 1.4 DGT Fiat Tempra 1.8 (something) Vauxhall Carlton GSI3000 Vauxhall Senator 3.0i CD Got 1/2 way into fitting one into my Manta but gave up (from an Astra) Cadillac Eldorado 4100HTi

Only one ever had a problem, the Senator - when not used for a couple of months, the revcounter had some problems for a while with a stuck sector.

Repaired digital sections on Citroens in the past, such as the ancilliary display panel on a CX GTI.

The Tipo I owned for a good while. I really liked that dasboard design, too.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

First ones were sold in 1989.

Reply to
Homer

I'm finding 1990. Either way it's hardly a retro car of the 80s.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK-PB

most sierra cossies round my way with the exception of one are owned by guys in there later 30's early 40's for some reason. some look really good condition too.

Reply to
Vamp

"Insurance"

They're an expensive nightmare when it comes to insurance, overall... as is the Scorpio Cosworth, and the Senator 24v was faster yet less to insure.

All down to the badge, methinks

Reply to
JackH
[corrado]

You sure? It looked dated when it appeared.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Vamp has an MR2? Whodathunkit. ; )

I don't care if you are modding a Cavalier. Each to their own. I can't believe Dervy spends money on a Ka. Over here only grandmothers drive them. But if he likes it then fair enough. It's not like either of you are going on an Led and sticker binge.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

XJS is 70s. And the RS2000 Escorts were good in their day.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston