OT Logitech G25 mini test

Due to relatives I haven't had a lot of chance to test it fully yet, they seem to think Christmas is a time to spend together as a family (that and I'm not going to do a 60 mile round trip just to grab my GTR2 and GTL CDs). So I used it on GT4 on the PS2 and I was less than impressed, yes 900 degrees of rotations about right for an average road car but it dose seem odd in an F1 car and the force feedback makes it harder to turn than when my G40 (that's the and thus car not related to the G25 wheel ;) ) was on 8" wide wheels, to make matters worse it stays the same at 200mph in the M5 so chucking it in to a hairpin at the end of a straight requires two and a half locks of bodybuilding proportions and to top it off you are stuck with sequential shift (though both the paddles and stick feel responsive and solid). Not sounding good for something that will cost the best part of £200 then. So I cleared my desk found a copy of Need for Speed Carbon and setup Live for Speed. Anyone who has played NFSC will know it's hardly the best driving game out there but it dose take the 6+R shifter input and has shiny cars that you can "autosculpt" (ok that's about the best I can say about it). After about 5 min of playing I abandoned the stick and used the paddles for all my changes because quite frankly you are up and down the box so much that the paddles feel better and are more in keeping with the feel of the game. (It cold help if I put the stick closer to the wheel but you are wrestling with the over enthusiastic feedback from the game too much). Not going well at all at this point but I still have Live for Speed with me and although the cars aren't real and the graphics are shall we say a little dated but it's only £24 for a licence and it's a good driving game (not quite up to Simbin's level but good non the less) probably the worst problem with LFS is setting up the controls but once that was done I decided to dive right in and all of a sudden the wheel makes perfect sense. No silly rumbles that aren't related to what's going on and you get to slip the clutch to do donuts and pull away smoothly. It's fantastic, the only thing missing is a grinding from the stick when you fluff a change. As for the units them selves they all have a quality feel with brushed aluminium pedals and paddles though the accelerator is a bit light compared to the other two and leather bound wheel and gear leaver.The only thing to let the side down is the cheap looking plastic atop the gear knob with the Hh gate pattern on it, quite a surprise when you consider how cheap a nice one would have been.

You know for a mini review that's a bit longer than I expected. In short then I love it with a good driving sim on the PC and with GTR it should really shine.

Reply to
Depresion

Get hold of a copy of NASCAR Racing 2003 (if you can) and download some of the road racing mods and tracks (coz I know you guys hate oval racing, bah). The wheel will come into it's own then...

Reply to
Abo

I could use the wheel for oval racing as well. Just jam it over to one side and drop a brick on the gas pedal. ;)

Reply to
Depresion

Draft missions on GT4...

Reply to