OT: Mobile contract up soon, and I'm tempted by an Omnia.

I know last time when I was on a =A330 month contract, I needed to go=20 through retentions and agree to a new 18month contract to get the phone=20 upgrade I wanted for free. I got a "plan review" which suggested I=20 should drop to a racoon 25 and save =A35 a month, but I can't see them=20 giving a new upgrade for free this time round.

So, who is your phone provider of choice? I want the Samsung Omnia so I'm limited by choice to who will provide=20 one (I' not going through bucket shops like Scary Mary and co).

Wouldn't mind finding someone who would give me an unlimited data=20 package and some texts and upto =A350 fee for the phone if I switch if I=20 could find a contract upto =A330 a month.

Any preferences on T-Mobile, O2, 3, not bothered by Orange, I know what=20 they do as I've been with them for 3 years and I can't see retentions=20 helping me out this year again.

Why the Omnia and not the iPhone?

16gig capacity and an SDHC slot. Has an accelerometer. Runs TomTom and other Winmobile gps apps 5megapixel camera fm radio plays regular video formats

plus the iPhone 3g is still "limited stock in some stores" so I might=20 have to wait. OK, I wouldn't get coverflo, but who cares.

--=20 Carl Robson Get cashback on your purchases Topcashback

Elder

Hmm. BB Bold. I got one, orange have screwed my account up though so it's not actvie yet but very very nice handset.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

You got what? An Omina or an iPhone?

Reply to
Elder

ah the Crackberry. Don't like them. Buttons too small.

Reply to
Elder

And yet they work so well.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Does it have 4gig plus of storage space, have built in gps and do A2DP stereo?

Reply to
Elder

So, who is your phone provider of choice? I want the Samsung Omnia so I'm limited by choice to who will provide one (I' not going through bucket shops like Scary Mary and co).

Wouldn't mind finding someone who would give me an unlimited data package and some texts and upto £50 fee for the phone if I switch if I could find a contract upto £30 a month.

Any preferences on T-Mobile, O2, 3, not bothered by Orange, I know what they do as I've been with them for 3 years and I can't see retentions helping me out this year again.

Why the Omnia and not the iPhone?

16gig capacity and an SDHC slot. Has an accelerometer. Runs TomTom and other Winmobile gps apps 5megapixel camera fm radio plays regular video formats

plus the iPhone 3g is still "limited stock in some stores" so I might have to wait. OK, I wouldn't get coverflo, but who cares.

The iPhone I had that I sold to SteveH was only a 2G, but that had an accelerometer. I had a little app installed that logged what it was doing, and if you shook it, it knew :-) I beleive that's how that new Dyno program works.

I still didn't like it though - I just bought it on a whim, cos I'd never owned anything like that, no kind've smart phone, an I enjoyed it for a few days but then cos I only use my phone, as a phone really it wasn't so good for me. I also do an awful lot of texting, and the way you text on the iphone bugged me, although the predictive text stuff was really good.

I think I want a Nokia 8600 Luna - basic features but it looks sweet :-) Or maybe a 6220 - still small like my current 6300, but has like LOADS of features, even GPS!

Reply to
DanB

(checks)

Came with 1 gig, plus GPS, HSDPA, 802.11a/b/g, A2DP. And an SD card slot (with another gig!)

420x320 screen too. And a keyboard.

Next?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

So does the iPhone.

TomTom is good, yes, but WinMobile is an utter pile of shit.

But shit lens, meaning it's like smearing grease over the front of an SLR before taking photos.

I've had phones with FM, never used it as you *have* to use the supplied headphones to get any reception. Mine also had a TV tuner in it, which I could never get to work.

But you'll still have to run them through a converter to get the resolution and size down to something sensible for a mobile.

Reply to
SteveH

Whilst it is nice to have a camera on a phone for emergency photo use, I'd agree that I wouldn't get hung up on the specs 'cos even the good ones aren't very good. Some are ok in well lit situations, but they're all crap once it gets dark, or poorly lit inside. If I was going somewhere where I was even a tiny bit likely to take photos, I'd just take the Exilim as well. An Exilim and a Nokia 6300 isn't really any more pocket space than just an iPhone. So really the only thing I use the phone camera for, is messing around an MMS - which i'd have had to pay for an app if i wanted to do on the iPhone.

Aye every phone I've had for years has had a radio an I've never used it either hehe.

Aye converting videos to go on the iPhone was a bit of a faff too - but I daresay you have a better solution on the Mac - or even, does iTunes do it?

Reply to
DanB

The only phone cameras that appear to be any good as a replacement for a pocket sized compact are on some Sony-Ericsson phones. Which is why, even though I'll have an iPhone, I still won't ditch my K800i.

In terms of MMS, I think the reason Apple didn't support MMS is that it's a very UK-centric thing - not many countries have the same obsession with MMS that we do, and also, they didn't see the point in MMS when emails are more functional and cheaper to send / receive.

If the videos are in a format that iTunes can understand (which is a fair number of formats if you have the Quicktime codecs installed), then it's piss easy to convert them for use on the iPhone. This applies equally to both Windows and OSX, though.

Of course, one of the big reasons you'd want an iPhone for 'media' is that it has a decent quality, glass screen - something that you don't get on many other devices. It was by far the best quality screen I've experienced on a phone or PDA. But the downside is that glass screens are, as I found out, easy to break.

Reply to
SteveH

I use the radio if I'm likely to be going on a train journey, or waiting at an airport for a while. Always have a couple of hours of mp3s on the phone, but the radio can sometimes be worthwhile. Spin Radio in Prague is remarkably good, which was a bonus. Radio City in Stockholm is another one worth catching.

Reply to
Pete M

No, its like smearing grease over the lens of a shit 5mp camera.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Pah. You're a bunch of pixel snobs.

Reply to
Pete M

UK is a huge market for mobile phones though, they shot themselves in the foot by not supporting it IMO.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Fair enough, still not sure about diddy keyboard phones.

Reply to
Elder

I like my pocket pc phones.

Once you have a half decent mp3 player and proper gps on a phone, you will wonder why people bother to carry arround seperate devices.

I can understand a good digital camera, especially if it is one of the better slim compacts, but some of the better phones do fine for snaps and Samsung has a symbian phone with 8mp and led flash coming out soon.

Reply to
Elder

Not true. It has an accelerometer but no SDHC slot. Only the onboard 16gig. The Omnia has 16gig and a slot.

Yet my trinity can do 3g, and crashes less often, and has a better battery life than the 3 iPhones in the office put together and was bought 8 months before them. I charge it once a week, sometimes give it a mid week topup if I'm playing music in the car. the iPhone guys in the office needs charge sometimes daily.

Is the iPhone lens buffed of the muffs of atlantean virgins then? Would need to be to make a 3mp camera so wonderous.

You need a modeco account to see the pictures. Looks ok for a quicksnap camera.

A camera phone isn't an SLR though. I bet if you tried to phone your missus on a Canon EOS 5D you would declare it absolute s**te too regardless of it's memory, shutter speed, reaction time and design.

Reply to
Elder

I'll try again seeing as you are all obsessed with the phones.

Which provider is giving the best contract deals.

Is that simple enough, I know I'm likely to try to find an Omnia, but I want to know which provider is best.

Reply to
Elder

If you want to use your device properly, ie. browsing, messaging, email, then look no further than T-Mobile.

Reply to
SteveH