OT? : New car suggestions

*shudder*
Reply to
SteveH

In article , snipped-for-privacy@aaand.freeserve.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Ah you are right there then.

A mate of mine on the south coast of england might have something that might suit better.

He collects old military vehicles (Tanks, Ferrets, that sort of thing) :)

Mind you are civilians allowed to own ex military vehicles in NI?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Test Scores: Front 3 (19%) Side 8 (44%) Overall 11 (32%)

Why anyone would put a 2.0 turbo in a car that dangerous is beyond me!

-- Chet

Chet

how much do you want to spend :)

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Don't tell him that - offer him yours for sale instead :)

Reply to
Nom

Just for a laugh I think !

Reply to
Nom

Not a lot. I'm interested in finding out what can be done, though, the car is a bit underpowered IME and if the premiums aren't too excitable it might be an idea to modify. There's a 210 bhp version of the same car, so it's well within the chassis and shouldn't upset the insurers, in my experience (they're not charging extra for the v8 in my other, originally four pot car.)

Reply to
antispam

Have Ford every made an engine you've liked Steve :P?

Reply to
Doki

Only the ones designed by Yamaha. And the 24v Cosworth tweaked Cologne isn't too bad, either - even so, it's soundly beaten by most of the competition.

The rest have been utter dross, IMHO. (Kent - in all it's variants, CVH, Essex etc)

Reply to
SteveH

Who cares - just don't crash :)

Reply to
Dan405

What about the Duratecs or whatever they call them? Seem to be a K-series alternative for Sevenalikes. I suppose this is the point where you'll tell me yamaha had a hand in them :P.

Reply to
Doki

ISTR that the Duratec has more in common with the CVH than any other Ford engine. Which means I'm unlikely to like them.

The Zetecs were fine - but they stopped making the best one. (1.25)

Reply to
SteveH

I don't think you're not allowed one, but would YOU drive round Belfast in an ex-military vehicle?

;-)

Aaron.

Reply to
Aaron Anderson

Clearly - thats not the best one. It has 75bhp. The 1.7 has 130bhp or summet. Therefore, thats better. :)

As far as tiny little engines go, i reckon Fiats 85bhp 1.2 is the best bet, although i'm waiting for Honda to make a little 1.0/1.2 litre super mini, with a classic Vtec 100bhp per NA litre :)

Reply to
Dan405

It's not just about power, you know. The 1.25 was a real little screamer, and very sweet. The 1.7 lost a lot of the charm.

Have to say that the Zetec 1.25 runs the Fiat 1.2 16v close. Personally, I'd prefer the Fiat lump, but the 1.25 Zetec is one of the best engines Ford have produced in a long time.

Reply to
SteveH

When you say 'Ford' has produced...

Its like the Diesels they are so proud of - they weren't up to it, so they used they're masses of financial resources and paid someone else to do it.

The new Pug 2.7 TDi and 3.0 TDi are supposed to be very nice - and they're going in Jags. Wonder how many stiff brit snob types wouldn't buy a Jag anymore if they new the engine was really French....

Reply to
Dan405

Well, yes, Ford make it, but it was designed by Yamaha.....

Reply to
SteveH

ROFL

Reply to
Nom

Had a mate at Uni from Belfast, told me about how the Saracens would crawl though the saturday shoppers, and if you were facing the wrong way didn't get out of the way, they didn't stop so tough. and they were really quiet too.

Sounds really dodgy, but I guess you get used to whats arround you, and living there is even easier when you haven't known much different.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Gee, ya think ? :)

Reply to