OT: Online opticians

Anyone used one of those online opticians? I've just found my "Good" glasses that cost me the wrong side of a hundred quid and it turns out that I've confused them with my "Shite" glasses that have a chip out of the lense and the wrong prescription. And left them kicking around. And now they're both "Shite" glasses. Anyone used any of them and and have any idea how cack handed they are (plastic frames, want relensing, can break if you f*ck em up)?

Reply to
Doki

I use Tesco opticians in store. They tend to be very good for the money. Tried all the normal highstreet ones and ASDA. Tesco was best. Haven't tried any online ones though sorry.

Reply to
Elder

I used opticals4less.com to get our kids some prescription sunglasses last summer. Cost £19 per pair delivered as opposed to £55 a pair from our local optician. Arrived inside a week and our optician's opinion was they were just fine.

The nine year old chose bright blue lenses - thinks he's Ozzy :)

Try having eyes where your presecription changes every six months and just the lenses are 130 quid - per eye.

Reply to
Grant

I can usually get a pair of photosensitive glasses made, including=20 testing, sub =A3100.

I guess I'm lucky. Change over 2 years is negligable, but if I'm getting=20 tested anyway and they are getting scratched with age, I might as well=20 change them.

--=20 Carl Robson Audio stream:

Playing at home:Frank the Baptist-Beggars Would Ride

Reply to
Elder

I suspect mine would be a bit miffed. OTOH he might think it's trade he wouldn't get anyway.

You want new eyes you do.

Reply to
Doki

He knows what he's doing. My kids are in there every other week getting theirs straightened for free. One of them managed to break a frame after having them for a week - it went back to the distributor as faulty...

He even shortened the legs of both sets of Hong Kong sunglasses for free so they were a better fit.

And that's why the wife and I are happy to continue dropping our 700+ quid a year for our glasses and shades.

I am *seriously* jealous of people with decent eyesight. Having kerataconus which means the surface of my eyeball looks like a relief map of the Himalayas is a definite bummer.

"And how far down the chart can you read with right eye Mr Mason?"

"T"

Reply to
Grant

That's a bugger. There are direct-wavefront measurement, and custom arbitrary surface contact and glasses manufacture now, which give *far* better correction in cases like yours than the conventional focus and astigmatism measurements. Not cheap, mind, and I don't know how many places in the UK can do it.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Cool - thanks for the heads up.

Ophthonix make a range of wavefront lenses and list one optician in the UK on their website.

suggests a 30% price premium. TBH, I'd pay 300% if it does what it says on the tin.

Reply to
Grant

Cool. Let me know if you find out any more. It's impressive stuff - especially with the contacts. People with seriously bad eyesight were getting rather better than 20/20. The glasses work well too, although obviously don't move with the eyeball, so not as good when looking off axis. At the time I was looking at it, the only place which did it commercially was in San Diego, so not a practical option.

Reply to
Albert T Cone

I'll second Optical4less.

Both myself and Katie have glasses from them - at the prices they charge, I even splashed out on some yellow tint ones for driving.

Reply to
SteveH

Nice. You ever find yourself on Pat Butchers doorstep wearing nothing but a rotating bow tie?

Reply to
Doki

I said yellow, as in the tint snipers wear, not brahn, as in Frank Butcher.

Reply to
SteveH

I may never be able to take you seriously ever again.

Reply to
Doki

Ah. Were we supposed to?

Reply to
Albert T Cone

Mock all you like - but have you ever tried yellow tint lenses in less than ideal visibility?

They make quite a difference - not least because they stop you being blinded by oncoming vehicles.

Reply to
SteveH

I haven't. I still remember those Ambervision sunglasses that used to be advertised on telly. A bit like those wiper blades that clear rain, snow, ice, mud, shit, piss, vomit etc. off your screen and are used by emergency services everywhere.

Nobody's ever produced reliable research to prove that they're useful. I'd think such a piece of research would be seriously useful to various people (ie, Govts / Armed Forces / Airlines) and the sellers of tinted glasses...

Reply to
Doki