Buy used A4 Online, Help`

Up here in New England an Audi commands top dollar and I've found that I can save between 3-5,000$ by buying the same car on Ebay from a southern dealer in Texas or similar. The only thing I'm worried about is flood damage form the big one last year which destroyed a countless number of cars, I've seen the reports on 60 Min and it scares me alittle. Can anyone help me spot signs of flood damage that I can look for.

Tim in Portland

Reply to
Tim in Portland

Carfax?

BTW, it is insane to buy online without a proper professional inspection.

Reply to
PeterD

have the seller take a polygraph..........

Reply to
Lez Pawl

Tim, here is a site that can help you id a car that may have been in one of the big hurricane floods...

I think the other things you look for are -

o Cars that seem to have interiors/engine compartments that are too-new-looking for their age/mileage. I.e., an 80k mileage car with carpet that looks beand new. o Electrical issues with things like power seats and windows. o Certainly, unusual smells or mold, or corrosion along the bottom of the car. o cars that have had a lot of their lower-level components replaced all at once - suspension components, exhaust, wheels, tires, brake lines, fuel lines, etc.

Also, cars out of your territory may not always have the options that you want, like quattro, heated seats, etc.

And of course, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

Dan D '04 A4 1.8Tq MT-6 Central NJ USA

Reply to
Dano58