OT: phones

For you techno geeks: Looking at a new phone, and was hoping some of you may have/know about the ones i'm interested in. So here goes, whats the difference between a Motorola V500 and V600, is it just that the 600 can record videos? Also are they actually any good? How does a Sony Z600 compare to them? Any other decent phones i could be looking at (except Nokia)?

Cheers

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I've a SE Z600 and it seems pretty decent. I get through the battery at a fair rate mind, but I suspect that's because I'm constantly taking photos.

Reply to
Doki

Is it basically a clamshell version of the T610 or are there any major differences?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

It's basically the same as the T610, but with a better screen (apparently you can't read the T610's screen in daylight). The T630 has a similar screen. I think the Z600 screen might be bigger, thought I could be wrong.

Reply to
Doki

I used to have a Sharp GX10i but it was to big, so now I got a Samsung E700 and it rocks, and its soooo small, great phone Ron

Reply to
Ron

I'm not fussed about it being small, in fact i'd rather it wasnt. Although i obviously dont want a brick. My T68i is a good size. Will have a looksy at the Samsung though. Cheers

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

I had a T68i before my Gx10i, must say it was a nice phone actually. it all depends what you want from a phone?

Are you going on a contract? What network are you using, how much you wanna spend per month?

The Samsung is the best phone in its class at the moment imo, although the e710 is out now, but on contract they wanted 140 quid extra where as the 700 was free, only difference is the 710 has a flash.

The 700 has this cool multi picture mode, which takes 15 shots in like 4 secs, then links them altogether to make 1 wide angle picture, also it holds

200 texts which i like.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Well i like my T68, although it can be a little slow. Only problem is its old and the down button is starting to give up. Basically i'm just looking to upgrade to a newer model. Bluetooth would be good as i've already got the stuff for my PC. Polyphonic, plenty of room for texts, camera would be good, downloadable games would be nice. i think most phones have all of that these days though.

Currently on o2. The contract is great in terms of what you get (500 mins off peak o2, 50 off peak xnet, 500 wap mins anytime, 500 texts and 0.5Mb of GPRS), but i'm getting a little tired of them and they're customer services, so am looking into changing netwroks. I'm currently favouring Orange, as i reckon one of their plans with a couple of add ons should keep my bill roughly the same as it is now (~£30).

Cool, that sounds good! May take a trip into town at the weekend to see what i can get! Anyone know if you have to pay to get a PAK code thingy from o2?

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

Space for 2400 pics in my 6600, had 1500 txts in it too :)

-- Chet

Chet

I think it depends who your SP is. If its Singlepoint (phones 4u), I know they charge for a PAC on vodafone, the bastards.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

i want a 6600! or a sony P900

Reply to
Vamp

I got a 6600 after the crappy P800. 6600 is very very cool. You still got the 7650?

-- Chet

Chet

yup can't find anything i like apart from the P900 or 6600 to replace it, and can't afford them :-p

Reply to
Vamp

There u go, only 14k

Samsung E700

Reply to
Ron

Can I just hijack this thread for a minute?

Thanks.

I'm after a new phone and contract (though I'm happy enough to a reasonable degree with my phone).

Basically I'm after something fairly simple - my current Nokia 3310 does the job quite nicely, it does pretty much everything I want - the predictive SMS is very handy, the menus are very user friendly, and it's very simple and intuitive to use. Oh, and I must have dropped it nearly 100 times and it still works fine! Only things I really want on top of what it offers are a much better capacity for storing text messages - I barely use them, and it still seems to fill up all too quickly. I could also do with it storing more than just the last call from a particular number - if work have just called me, and I want to figure something out based on when I got a call that I know was roughly 2 hours ago, I can't look it up. Only other things I'm after are for it to be compatible with my hands free kit (which means Nokia 5/6/7 series - I'm currently using an old 5110 brick) though I wouldn't reject the idea of a bluetooth compatible headset, and GPRS compatibility.

I don't like the idea of WAP - to me it just seems too cut down for my liking. I'm also not desperately keen on a phone that's half PDA/web browser half phone like the Ericsson P800 (I think) - I'd rather do things properly through my laptop via GPRS than via some tiny little pda/phone screen.

Also, how much roughly would I pay for a GPRS data card type device to connect phone to laptop, and what would people recommend?

And what contract should I be looking at? Basically I want a reasonable amount of data per month on GPRS (really don't know, say 2MB), and about 500 minutes any time per month to any network. Possibly slightly less minutes. Hopefully I'd be paying no more than about £30 per month. I'd compromise on the data though as it'd only be for recreational use. I hear Orange do the best deals on GPRS, but I remember 3 doing a deal for 500 anytime any network minutes for £25 / month - what would you guys recommend?

Cheers,

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

BTW I inadvertently mailed that to Carl instead - sorry about that!!

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

3G are the only company that offer that many mins for less than 30 quid, but there phones are too big and bulky. 200mins is all you will get with the big 4 networks cross net anytime for 30 quid, I get 30 quids worth of data/text/mms on my contract, but dont think Vodafone offer that any more.

Good luck

btw you seen the pics of the new A6 interior, f*ck me lush comes to mind

Reply to
Ron

Do you have to get a video phone with 3? I really don't want one, but their deals on inclusive calls seem good!

I might just get onto some sort of public WLAN via the laptop instead, and get just a calls based contract phone. Probably a 6-series Nokia or something like that.

Not yet - it's in the latest issue of Auto Express isn't it - must buy that. I do love the look of the interior in this one though:

Want that for mine!

In fact the other week I went and took a test drive of an A6 TDI Quattro Avan, full cream leather interior - lovely it was - really did like the interior - cream leather trim on the door cards (I think - can't remember), plus cream dashboard, wood cappings on the dash (the big horizontal bit along the middle) and the door cards, nicer alloys than mine (big chunky

5-spoke ones - standard quattro ones) and a sports steering wheel. Only thing was, it was noticeably slower than mine (transmission losses) - a lot more noticeable than I expected, and unfortunately I didn't get to drive it hard enough to appreciate the 4WD! Only roundabout I went on had traffic lights!!! In short, I'd have had the interior and wheels but in all honesty if I was to go for a quattro I'd probably get a more powerful one.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I'm on T-Mobile - 200 mins any network any time, and 100 texts. £20 a month, and the customer service ROCKS - seriousl, they are wicked.

Reply to
Dan405