Re: my new phone

i went for the sony K750i and i love it! does everything my old bulky P800

> did but in a nicer size! and it has a pretty good 2mega pixel cam.

...and that's where the goodies end. I will never own a Sony Ericsson for as long as I live, they have shit slow software and constantly crash the minute you try to do something productive (like scroll through the phonebook when you have more than 100 numbers saved!).

You should have went for the D500...the cam aint quite as good quality, but at 1.3megapixels, it's not too shabby. Anyway, it's a phone! Buy a digi cam if you want quality pictures ;-)

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

I've got an SE Z1010 on Orange 3G contract, and no problem with crashing. But the camera is crap. Missus has a Sharp 902 on Voda 3G PAYG (yes you can have 3G on PAYG, just ask them to enable your account in the shop). The camera is good for a phone.

Then we have my olf Fuji MX1200 1.2MP camera, which isn't bad but was cheap, and our new Kodak 7590 5.0MP, very nice camera with a decent handhold and a chunky feel. (SmallR link to stupidly long url for the camera)

Sleeker GT Phwoar

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, Sleeker GT Phwoar decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I've got a SE T68i I've had for years, which is reliable and still has excellent battery life, and a SE T610 which is also reliable, although it did need a new screen after an unintended gravity related impact moment.

As for being slow, I've got around 300-400 numbers in each phone, and ok the T68i occasionally crashes, but the 610 is bombproof. So Vamps 750 should be much better again.

Reply to
Pete M

Had a Nokia 3650 after owning Motorola and Siemens phones. It worked great, and had loads if features, but felt like it was made of lego, and would come apart as easy.

Got out of there as quick as I could, when Voda wouldn't offer me a decent 3G contract and phone upgrade.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

The Z1010 was nearly a year out of date when they launched it, Orange were the only network taking it. They couldn't get a Z800 because Voda had it tied up as the V800 on exlcusive contract. It's a lot more reliable than my old Nokia 3650, and feels far sturdier.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Well I had a Nokia 3310 that I bought just over 2 years ago, and that lasted me very well, up until a few months ago, when it just decided to turn itself off, never to turn back on (and before some smartarse comments, I did try plugging a charger in) - it would turn on, get half way through, then crash. I had dropped it a stupidly large number of times in the time I'd had it and was always very impressed with how much it had survived! Could have had something to do with its demise....

But I really like the simplicity of it - the speed of the menus is so much quicker than something older like a 5110, it has a vibrate function, which is handy on trains and stuff, and it has predictive text, which is brilliant, especially as I can't stand writing in that stupid txt spk, no wot I mn, m8?

Anyway, so I got another one just after the old one packed up, for £20 off ebay. Does the trick nicely. And even survived being accidentally dropped into an industrial size tub of swarfega-with-polychips-type-stuff at work. I rinsed it off, making sure the water was at the edges and not taken in to the phone, and it seemed to still be working. Then later I realised that only about two buttons were working on it. Then I planned to properly take it apart, but realised I didn't have a small enough torx-headed precision screwdriver, so I gave up and left it sitting on my bed, in bits. Then, by chance, I put the battery back in, clipped everything back together and it worked fine, and has ever since.

I also bought my brother's old P800 off him a while back, which he never had any problems with bar the thing emitting some smoke (but we're pretty sure that was as a result of using a third party in-car charger), but he got a brand new replacement under warranty anyway, which was nice. But that needs unlocking, and I haven't got around to that yet.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Seems to be the sign of death for all Nokias. I think every one that I have had has done that at some time. The phone insurance takes care of it and gets me a "reconditioned" one each time. I have a 6310i that's lasted seemingly forever, I keep meaning to replace it but it works, no stupid gimmicks, the battery lasts for ages and it's a good phone.

If I want an MP3 player I have a better one than any phone. If I want a camera, I have several, any one of them with at least 4x the resolution of a phone camera. If I want to watch a DVD I'll do it on my widescreen notebook PC.

Better to do each job properly than have some shitbox that does them all badly.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yup. Love the D500. Sending text messages are now fun, because I don't need to wait for it to catch up with my typing :-D

Ta, G.

Reply to
G-Man

The trouble is, you can't walk down the street with your phone, MP3 player, camera and laptop without a suitcase to put them in !

Reply to
Nom

I couldn't have put it better myself. I quite fancy getting something like a 6310i actually, as they seem to have a much better in-built memory for text messages. I don't use SMS all that much, but on the occasions I do, it only takes a few messages to fill up the memory, and ISTR 6-series Nokias being able to store infinitely more than 3-series ones.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I have 6230 - holds about 140.

Reply to
DanTXD

really? i'm like that with nokia, nokia suck! the phones are flashy s**te and there PC software is a load of old bollocks! love my sony phones!

Reply to
Vamp

ah! had a siemens C35i years back and hated it! nice and small but what a shit phone! crashed a lot and the battery lasted f*ck all time and died altogether after a year!

Reply to
Vamp

You missed out on Snooper Style GPS Speed camera warnings and a PDA like my motorola A1000

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kent

I have a Siemens S55 at the moment, mainly because it was cheap (£20 off ebay), but also because you can hack the firmware. Not that I've got around to doing it yet.

Reply to
Tom Robinson

WTF would I want to?

Reply to
Steve Firth

hack the firmware in what way?

Reply to
Vamp

Mine was even older, good old S25. Could use monophonic Midis as ring tones, and 4 colour bitmaps as logos, when everything until true colour TFTs was black and white.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

Eh ?

To make calls, listen to music, take photos, and watch DVDs, as per your original post ?

Have I missed something here ?

Reply to
Nom

Yes, the fact that maybe, like a lot of us he doesn't feel the need to do all these whilst walking down the street.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan