OT Stupid VW.

With the lack of a uk.rec.vans.modifications here with you lot will have to do.

What were the technicians at VW thinking (other than this will be a laugh) when they decided to build vans with wheel bolts at the front and studs at the back? It doesn't half make fitting alloys a pain, one set of locking bolts for the front, one set of locking nuts for the back and then you need to have two keys and I know I'll always have the wrong one when I need to swap a wheel and have to go rummage for the other. While they were at it they put a couple of bolts on the drums that have had me customising a set of spacers to clear them. Still it's getting there, a few more modifications around the wheel area (fitting studs all round) and transplant in the Scorpio 'leccy leather seats and it will be a nice "little" run around. Ah a final rant, what mad them think to give the jack a 5cm square base to sit on, that's going to be stable with 3 ton of van perched on it. Gave the perfect demonstration of why I use axel stands when the vehicle moved forwards tipping the jack so why don't RWD vehicles all have front hand brakes as well?

Reply to
Depresion

They weren't.

You might want to ask the Mercedes technicians, though.

Reply to
SteveH

No - it's definitely a VW thing. A friend's 1989 VW T25 van had this setup, and I'm pretty certain that Mercedes had no involvement here.

Reply to
Andy Tucker

Does anyone know, apart from the Sprinter/LT thing, has there ever been any other Mercedes/VW van collaboration?

Reply to
Douglas Payne

V6 Vito/V class front drive (previous shape) had VW VR6 engine.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp