OT:webhosting

Anyone looking to change you webhosting this year, I can help

60 quid a year, for 500mb space / 10gig per month transfer limit

5 sql databases

Your own custom Cpanel so you can monitor bandwidth/backup/add email etc

you can also use SSL etc

Loads of email address's, simple phbb forum's and chat rooms ,php, mysql, frontpage extensions.

Chet has been a customer for a year, and has 2 hostings and Matt is running it now as well , and Think they like the service, except I owe chet a cable hehe .

The first month will be free of charge to make sure you are satisfied, then you can either pay me £6 a month or £60 a year. If you are not satisfied simply tell me whithin a month and you owe nothing.

It will take 5 mins to set up

Ronny

Reply to
Ron

chet

Top Stuff. Cpanel is the canines danglies. Tenner less than my old host with five times the transfer and ten times the space. Oh and 5X the SQL databases. BB is bloody good as well, expect a Faulks Performance BB shortly LOL.

Matt

Reply to
**-**

Hehe cheers, i love u too :)

Reply to
Ron

chet

Bugger. Wish I had remembered about "Ronny's under the counter deals" when I renewed some company webhosting about 3 days ago.

Ah well, our websites are shit and have sod all visitors, and are really an exercise in how many pictures of myself I can get in, which, pitifully isn't nearly as much as you might expect. I dont suppose it matters that much, and I've also just started a full time job for another company, so sod it, what we have is good enough for what we need and costs a bit less.

I've got some sort of RoSPA course tomorrow, wish me luck!

Warmest regards Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

chet

Too test the speeds download this file

its 5mb, im on 2mb cable and get around 230k sec.

Upload speeds are fine as well.

Ron

btw thats me in bf1942 doing a spot of flying :)

Reply to
Ron

Peter, I always knew you were a good lad! (c:

Hopefully, RoSPA course beats checkout training which is what I was doing yesterday.

Now... How about giving me £100, just for the hell of it? (c;

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Nah just hosting m8, I own a server, and I wanna fill it up a bit.

I dont really profit from it, 8 quid is all i get if I fill all my slots up, I only offer it to you guys, I dont spam it anywhere Else :)

As I have a full time job anyway, I dont need the money. It's just a service for a bit of fun.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Depends where u live, 2 options are ADSL and Cable

Cable is NTL and BLUEYONDER - speeds up too 2mb/256

ADSL - is take your pick, hundreds of suppliers, one of the best is Nildram, depends on your area

Adsl starts 512/256 and goes up to 2mb only certain areas.

I would say cable is better, as you get a proper ethernet connection, usb connections are ok, but its easier to network a cable modem.

is a good place to start to compare isp's/prices.

prices are around 20 quid pm for adsl and 25 quid for cable.

1mb is 35 quid and 2mb is 50 quid a month

Ron

Reply to
Ron

*nods*

I have NTL 1mb cable at home, USBing it made networking an absolute *cntu*. Using the ethernet connection, which i did with mine without even trying USB (my mate went for USB first...) and it was a piece of piss. Networked all 7 of our computers (including a Packard Bell...) and it runs just hunky dory, although my poor 2200 Athlon is the overworked and undercooled server :)

Reply to
Dan405

The same applies to ADSL - you don't have to use a USB modem !

Reply to
Nom

So what do you do then? I have 2 x adsl ethernet modems here, one made by zoom and one made by netgear and neither of them work in this country as ethernet modems.

You could use it as a Router but this defeats the object of having a ethernet modem, as you then have to use NAT translation, which sucks when you wanna use webcams, etc unless you set up DMZ's.

Bt do supply to us buisness customers an adsl Router/modem which works well, and has no NAT.

Its because we dont support the required protocol in this country.

Reply to
Ronny

PISS OFF SPAMMER

(disclaimer: joke :-) )

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I have found 1 modem, that has just come out, but untill this county moves to the protocol PPPoE instead of PPPoA then your stuck with USB modem's.

Ronny

Reply to
Ronny

Good luck in your RoSPA course Douglas.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

No you aren't. there are lots of ADSL modems that use the US phone plug, and either ethernet (external)or a PCI slot (internal) and even combined modem/router/(switch/hub) and PPOA. Even PC World sell them that work with ADSL and Cable in this country.

Our resellers make a big thing about selling hardware (modems and routers) that don't need the USB port

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

some good hardware reviews/discussions here.

MeatballTurbo

Can't be arsed to download that as I'm on a 56k dialup link. But I must say it's working reasonably well at the moment. The plans to fix the T20 are on hold as IBM still haven't sent me the parts, the Maxtor drive is still sitting around as I haven't replied to their email telling me that they don't issue the logic control PCBs separately, so I took the 12GB drive from my mate's old PC I bought off him a while back (old Time AMD K6-2 machine) as I couldn't get that PC to work on anything above 256 colours as I didn't have the proper display drivers, nor could I get the modem to work despite installing the drivers. I then put it in my Dell (makes much more sense, P3-700 processor, all the correct driver disks etc), put everything I wanted to keep on that drive in a separate folder, then did "attrib -h -r -s -a *.* " to everything in the root directory, deleted the lot, then did "deltree windows /Y", waited a while (took a backup copy of deltree.exe just in case), then rebooted with the win98 CD in the drive and reinstalled that. Now my system's running very quick and smooth for what it is, and it makes the net connection feel quicker than what it is as well.

But anyway, my question is - can you sort out decent broadband links as well, or just hosting?

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

You wanna charge more then mate!!

Fairy nuff - if anyone could recommend a good deal on broadband I'd like to know - 512k, 1MB, 2MB - I'm not all that fussy, just curious as to where the good deals are.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

connection,

Have you ever tried to make a PPPoA modem work on Ethernet? Go for it, like I said I have spent ages and money buying modems to no avail.

Find me a ADSL modem that accepts a UK style phone connection and is also a true ethernet output, without using any NAT/Routing .

I have sititng infront of me a DM602 netgear and a Zoom adsl modem, and both of them will not work on ADSL in this country as a true ethernet modem.

They will in the states who use PPPoE,

ron

Reply to
Ronny

If you want to connect more than one machine you ideally need a router as you know, so a combined modem/router is the best bet for most people at home.

Most of these should

Read the
"Do MRI Routers work with my ISP?" link

Our resellers also sell blocks of 1,4 and 8 static IPs and modems/routers. Most ADSL connections these days are the Wires only type, so no modem is supplied unless you buy one.

is one of our clients, they chose only the two BT voyager products to sell.and
these guys offer a one port router.

And also have you looked here for a UK compatable router/modem?

?They list two DSL ethernet modems
5 single port DSL routers
Hope these links are useful.

Reply to