[OT] what's the dattery life realy like?

Why compete with something as useless at it's primary task as that?

Battery life will be hopeless, it'll weigh too much to carry around and that screen is just compounds the weight issue by making the machine far too big to be anything other than desk-bound.

In which case, you may as well buy a desktop offering the same performance for half the price.

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

The biggest they do is a 17" 1680x1050 with an ATI X1600, and 2.16Ghz Core Duo, how dose it compare to say the SLI Rock 19" monster? well they both have

1680x1050 screens if there is a 2" difference in size, they are both available with 7200rpm 100Gb drives both have 8x DVD Dual Layer RW drives and with 2 GB of ram both are just the wrong side of £2100 (The 19" with 2 Nvidia cards is £10 more) Yep that Mac sure makes it look silly.
Reply to
Depresion

Incredibly silly, yes.

Now, I could rave about OSX and the 'iLife' apps all night, but I'll suggest you look at the weight. The MacBook Pro is less than half the weight.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH wrote of a rather tired computer related argument:

Right, everyone just FUCK OFF with this "my computer's got a bigger knob than your computer" bollocks.

It's been done to death at least twice in recent history on this group, if you want to read all the same pish verbatim: Google is your friend etc.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

But that's precisely the game Alienware are playing. They're trying to prove they have the biggest knobs in the industry......

Reply to
SteveH

Only 3? Windows (all versions), Linux, FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, BEOS (and all the clones), Solaris, X86 Irix, Dos, OS/2, and Developer version OS X and many more I could mention, but these are the ones that are useable

Reply to
Elder

Well, they are now owned by the biggest knob (take that how you will) in the industry.

Reply to
Elder

And you can't do that on a pc?

Reply to
ThePunisher

You can't do the OSX bit. Which is the most important one.

Reply to
SteveH

You can but only if you don't mind running a dreadful OS.

Reply to
Depresion

Yes you can. I've got os x installed on my pc and use it occasionally.

James

Reply to
James Grabowski

Then you're running an out of date, buggy version that in no way represents what the real OSX experience is like.

Reply to
SteveH

That was what I meant, On a PC.

Reply to
Elder

I'm running 10.4.5. How out of date is that? I haven't noticed any bugs and it hasn't crashed so seems stable enough. How much difference would it make running it on mac/intel hardware as opposed to an amd based pc?

James

Reply to
James Grabowski

10.4.7 here.

If you only use it occasionally, you probably won't notice that it's bug ridden, as it's not an official release, though.

You do realise what you're doing isn't technically legal, unless you're an Apple developer, don't you?

Reply to
SteveH

It's definitely not legal as I don't own a license for mac os. Copyright theft of something I wouldn't buy doesn't bother me at all. I'd be surprised if any members of the group have licenses for their os's unless the were supplied with a pre built machine.

James

Reply to
James Grabowski

My machine came with 10.3.

I bought 10.4.

Reply to
SteveH

Be surprised, be very surprised...

(c:

Reply to
Douglas Payne

I did mean windows users as it's slightly harder to get hold of dodgy copies of mac os.

James

Reply to
James Grabowski

*snort*

No it's not.

In fact, it's easier, as there's no copy protection / licensing for OSX.

Reply to
SteveH