na Diesel - What's it like?

Anyone run a Defender with the 2.5l normally aspirated diesel engine? What is it like for reliability? Guess it is very slow but it would really only be for off-road use. Has it enough useable low down power to work as a decent off-roader?

TIA

Reply to
Andy

I did, years ago, pre-defender 110 hardtop.

Maybe I was lucky, but I did the head before I fitted the engine (new hotspots etc) and it ran fine with no issues.

You bet it was, 50mph in 4th was the norm, with maybe 60 to 65mph with a tailwind or descent in 5th.

Best place for a disiesel engine, lol. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Low box in the 110 was ok but you had to be ready to feather the throttle if doing anything serious - it wasn't a "tickover rock crawler".

I eventually fitted a turbo to it, made more noise and drank more fuel but still didn't go any better so I removed it and fitted a decent V8. I was only getting 22mpg from the diesel on a good day, and the V8 did 18mpg but got me where I wanted to go in so much more style, lol. I finally fitted the 2.5n/a engine into a series 3 swb ragtop with rangie diffs and 7.50 tyres - now, that was a very competent little motor with that engine. 75mph easily obtainable, high 20's mpg figures, and it would still crawl along at idle in low box. I suppose what I'm saying is this - it isn't as bad an engine as is made out to be, especially if looked after, but don't expect it to punch above its weight if you fit it into something big and heavy. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In English that translates to 'reliability', better fuel metering and no sparks to get damp.

Keep the revs down on the n/a and you won't get much trouble but better to shove in a 200Tdi.

A very fair assessment, even the fun of driving a V8, so long as you remember the'V' is an icon for 'open wallet' and the 8 is the number of tenners needed to feed it every few days. Couldn't resist :-)

Reply to
Oily

In message , Andy writes

It is very very slow. No reliability problems - I didn't keep it long enough to find out.

It is usable off-road, but then what isn't?

I replaced it with a 200TDi, which was brilliant.

Reply to
hugh

Ive got one in a series. Had no problem with it (until i had timing issues and had fun as i have the dodgy sherpa version)!.

Was a lot quicker and torquier than the 2.25 it originally replaced!

If doing it again now i'd go for a 200tdi for some additional beans!

Reply to
Tom Woods

Ive got one in a series. Had no problem with it (until i had timing issues and had fun as i have the dodgy sherpa version)!.

Was a lot quicker and torquier than the 2.25 it originally replaced!

If doing it again now i'd go for a 200tdi for some additional beans!

Thanks folks, pretty much confirmed my thoughts, I'll look elsewhere

Reply to
Andy

SLOW!

Reply to
Nige

You got rid of the d3?

Reply to
Nige

Yep, prices have gone nuts on them, made a £200 profit on it since April and I bought it at a main dealer!!!!

Looking to move house soon so releasing some cash.

Reply to
Andy

Crikey, where to?

Thats a bit sudden innit?