Paging SteveH

S'alright, I'm only jealous. ;-)

What about you... what do you do? :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

I work on the makeup counter in Boots :) ... nothing as involved with traveling as steve

If you need some makeup I get a little discount just let me know. :)

What do you do Jack ?

Reply to
Sarah

So what brings you to these parts, then?

No offence like, whilst some of the regulars here come across as a bit girly at times (1), we don't have any other gen-u-wine girlies posting around these parts normally. :-)

I take it you've got a car... name and shame.

Erm, I could have actually have done with some of that earlier today (no, really). ;-)

As little as possible. (Area IT Manager) ;-)

(1) Hissy fits, handbags at dawn, that sort of thing... although it tends to be pretty sporadic and not all happening on a four weekly cycle..

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

People who can't spell the Italian word for food.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Make sure you look *very* carefully at the oil pipes that run through the o/s/r wheelarch, and make sure the heater works as it should. Otherwise, they tend to be bombproof.

Reply to
Pete M

Well, I have ingested a few buyers guides from people who should know what they're talking about. Unfortunately there is a little more to it and their ability to generate bills that would make my A8 flinch (not exactly a slouch in that department either) is almost putting me off.

Unfortunately even the galvanised ones can and do rust - no surprise really after 20+ years - so it's more a matter of how much rust they have.

Of course it also helps if the PO changed the oil regularly because engine wear isn't something you'd want to deal with on one of these cars either.

I tried an early one (1971) recently and I really liked it. Trouble with that one was that "it does need a little bodywork and some work on the interior" was a very understated way of describing the car. The guys were wondering why I spent so much time just looking at it but what they didn't know is that I'm pretty good at estimating the cost of bodywork repairs. And I could see a *lot* of that in that car. Plus half an interior. Drove very nice though and surprisingly sprightly.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Hey jack,

Well I passed my driving test a year roughlly ago and I developed this interest on how the thing works and cars, I started reading eeeeeek dare I say it car magazines! I think I've got the bug and am turning into a petrol head lol.

None taken I guess its a man thing mainly. I noticed there isn't any girls posting here too. Maybe I could become the cheerleader mascot type thing for the group lol.

noooo its a mk4 vw lol ... its really good though, never lets me down but everything for it part wise is so damn expensive. Any you need diagnotics scanner for it to tell you what error codes it has. But its ace to drive. Although I'm starting to feel like I want another car (my second) something more unique and powerful. Not a pink punto nothing like that lol, more like a nissan skyline, but I don't think I have that much driving experience to try something so powerful, so going to brose for some cool odd vehicle on that piston web site.

Too much to drink ? drink lots and lots of water! :)

lol ... ahhh sounds cool, I love computers! when I can get them to workie right!

:)

I think I'd lack to the patience to problem solve computers. Same with cars too but not long ago I had a lambda sensor go and it was the first time I got my hands dirty trying to get at it and replace it which was easy thinking about it but not in practice. As you have to get other stuff out of the way before you can even get at what you want then put it all back together, fingers crossed it works, then cllear the code and pray it does not return!!

Also I'm getting interested in bodywork and spraying!! I had no ieda this car stuff was so cool but hard work very satisfying when u get it going though. Buuuut a major nightmare on the hands. I bough some hand protective glooves and the rubber ones to do basic things.

before I start gettin all weepy and rambly I'll put a stop in it :)

nice meeting you Jack.

Reply to
Sarah

What about a bright yellow Clio ;-)?

Reply to
DanB

Excellent. :-)

Depends where you go really. If you always go to VW main dealers, you'll get torn a new one every time, but thankfully you've got

and
who are a lot cheaper and stock most parts that will need replacing due to wear and tear.

I've got a Passat TDI Sport and have had a string of Golfs, so know only too well how ridiculously dear VW dealers are for parts.

That's the same for most modern cars though - if you keep having to have these read, there must be something up with it, mind.

It's a Mk4 Golf, yes? If so, they'll hang you for comments like that round here. ;-)

Depending on your age, you *may* find getting insurance on one of those a big problem than anything.

Hummm... all I'm saying is that foundation covers a multitude of post pub sins. (allegedly) ;-)

It's not bad - can be frustrating at times, but then most jobs are from time to time.

Well one thing I like about it is you're always learning... you never get bored really.

Good call - old oil doesn't do your skin any good at all when it comes into contact with it, never mind when muck gets under your nails.

And you. :-)

-- JackH

Reply to
jackhackettuk

LOL not unless its the uber sexy v6 one

Reply to
Sarah

GSF is always my out main choice, quality parts and a bit cheaper.

VW are on pure crack methinks.

Ahhh I forgot about the other cars out there all probly had diagnotics too (me hides)

hides in a bush lol

Just turned 26 and have some no claims and no points, I think I'll go play for consfused.com see if its even possible.

lol yes it does but build it up nice and thinly and then use powder to clend it so you don't look like a tart sorta clown lol :)

My neighbours husband is a network administrator which is says are a supped up title for the idiot who crawls under desks plugging wires back in, but he loves it.

:)

I shall be around no doubt harrasing everyone with niggly problems and screaming for help.

Reply to
Sarah

You're a couple of months too late for that one.....

Reply to
AstraVanMann

Dang, too late :-)

But this one is just as quick!

Reply to
DanB

Bad luck, Dan.

Reply to
Douglas Payne

You'll quite probably fit in just fine then, you've even got an STD.

Hello anyway!

Reply to
Pete M

I really, really like spray painting things. Cars in particular but any sort of thing will do. I got a row from erindoors for removing the front door and spray painting it to get a No 10 Downing Street style finish.

I'm eyeing up the oil tank which needs a new coat of paint. Nice glossy British Racing Green I reckon.

Reply to
Steve Firth

[snip]

Pah, bet you regret giving up the panty remover now.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You can fix some of those with penicillin.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Heya Pete :)

Reply to