Peugeot 406

I'm of the opinion that too much soot is a bad thing.

My parents had 1.9TD and 2.0HDi 90 306s almost back to back.

When I was driving them, I always felt like the the HDi was good, but there was something about the 1.9 that appealed to me, it seemed (perhaps it was all in my mind) that the HDi had electronics intervening in a cold and heartless manner, whereas the 1.9 had happy springs, clockwork and whirry gubbins controlling it. The HDi was much more cold and calculated to drive as a result.

Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

If only that were completely true.

I've looked at a hell of a lot of cars over the last few days. I was expecting the 406 to be poorly built with plenty of rattles and squeaks, but as it happens it wasn't. Nice quality plastics, no untoward noise. I also expected the gearchange to be a bit imprecise. It was.

OTOH the S40's dated interior rattled a bit.

Reply to
DervMan

Harsh ride and electronics to stop it falling off the road? Nah sorry, different kettle of fish. This 406 wasn't as well built as the Astra (say) but matched the S40.

Reply to
DervMan

I was seen wiping dribble off one on Sunday.

Lovely colour.

Reply to
DervMan

Yes. I can't put my finger on it other than the XUD has more character.

I suspect it's because the HDi's electronics care about trees and stuff whereas the XUD's mechanical injection just wants POWER. :)

Reply to
DervMan

I don't think it is China Blue...

Its the really like blue - same as the 206 GTi on my website?

Reply to
DanTXD

Car built for LHD, RHD has a couple of additional UJs and an extra shaft, really tight angles taking the steering load. Cars that are stood or poorly maintained suffer from rust in the joints and they get play in a very short time - mine had been stood for a while before I bought it.

High mileage cars tend to last longer.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

The metallic glittery one they used to use on 205 GTis ? Sure that was tahiti blue or something...

Reply to
Lordy.UK

Pass. I'm too lazy to find your website 'cos you don't link to it in your signature. :)

Reply to
DervMan

That's the king of bodge Fiat would be proud of ;-)

Reply to
SteveH

A pre-facelift one then.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Parkers suggests that they were available in China Blue till 2001 - but i'm sure i've never seen one :)

Besides, the only true blue is Aegean ;-)

Reply to
DanTXD

Specifically -

DanTXD

Or 'shell suit blue' as the rest of us call it.

Reply to
SteveH

Dude, you're so not in a position to ever rip on the colour of anyones car :-)

Reply to
DanTXD

This is sort of true. However, you actually *chose* that colour. For me I chose a car and took whatever colour I could find.

Reply to
SteveH

Miami blue :)

Reply to
Carl Gibbs

What would you have chosen? A nice original Silver, or Black?

Reply to
DanTXD

Black or dark metallic blue. Although they also did a dark metallic purple that looked good.

Reply to
SteveH

It is dark metallic blue :) Darkish anyway ;-)

I've never seen a purple one. I'm just gutted they don't do Firedance Orange anymore :D:D

Reply to
DanTXD