ping Richard K or Steve H....

or any other mac gurus... msn me snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com - having fun with a G4 and a 300 gig Hd...

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, I'm just in from work and you're not online at the moment.

Reply to
SteveH

Ah, I've been out all this weekend and I'm off out again. I'll be around Monday if you've not solved it; from memory if you're putting a 300Gb into a pre Quicksilver G4, fun will indeed be happening, since the controller can't handle more than 120 or 160GB (forget what the limit was).

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

It's an MDD - OSX recognised it but OS9 didn't. Formatted OK in OSX but not convinced of the reliability of it in OS9 as it lost my first test recordings.

Can I use a standard PC type ATA100 card in it or does it need some overpriced mac only IDE card installing - googling comes up with a way overpriced card from Sonnet.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Mac only card, I'm afraid. I speak from experience.

Reply to
SteveH

Hmmm... But OS9 couldn't see it to format it?

Suspicious. MacOS Extended (HFS+) format, or journaled as well? I don't know how OS9 handles the journaled format (journalled? Bah. It's Sunday).

I haven't used OS9 on larger disks, only Classic environment. MDDs are not massively out of date; might be worth chucking an SATA card in - I'm guessing that the MDD isn't a FW800 model since it can boot OS9, otherwise I'd suggest trying the drive in an external FW housing. FW400 isn't too slow to record with, mind.

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

This is the point where me, being the pc person, points and laughs. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

bugger. Anything that's not grossly mispriced?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yeah thinking that a firewire box might be a way out - can't go SATA without binning a 300 gig drive (not literally, I'm sure I'd find a home for it). It seems to work in OS9 but for the first time ever I lost a session (was a rehearsal session - just using it to shake down the drive) yesterday - coincidence or incompatibility?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

This is the point where me, being a pc person, asks for help!

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Dunno - I'm sure the best solution is to stick a 120GB drive in the machine and get a huge external Firewire drive for storage.

Reply to
SteveH

Well I'm not gonna spend a fortune on a card for the thing - an external box sounds like a good idea if FW400 is quick enough.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Well, here's the good news.

You can use a bog standard PCI Firewire 800 card in them.

Reply to
SteveH

I'll give you £20 for the 300gb drive :D

Reply to
DanTXD

I was laughing at SteveH. ; )

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Yeah no problem. If I decide not to use it I'll let you have it for that price.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Cool :-) It's not some odd Mac thing is it? It will work in my PC...?

Reply to
DanTXD

Yeah, absolutely, but I think you're missing the point.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yea probably :) I didn't read the rest of the thread and also figured you were kidding when you said you'd take £20...

Reply to
DanTXD