Porsche 924?

Well, everyone around here seems to be opinionated so I thought I'd throw this in for you all to argue about and cut me to bits ;)

My old Pug 305 is, frankly, incredibly tired and I've come to the conclusion it needs something near to a full restoration to sort it out. So, I wanna take it off the road, ditch my other old 305 GR which is rusting to nothingness instead of being restored and buy something else. Now, I'm not in the mood for anything a) expensive (because I wanna spend money on the

305), or b) boring . So, I've been looking around and stumbled across the old Audi-engined Porsche 924. Seems to be plenty around for next-to-nothing, they have a galvanised shell and share some components with VWs. Saw a 1985 model for under a grand. Dent in front wing, driver's door has dropped and seems to be leaking a bit of water. It also has the worst stripes across it I've ever seen in my life. On the plus side, the 67900 miles on the clock seem to be geniune, the engine runs very well and a test drive didn't show up any noises at all. It was a very, very, nice ride. I figure I can sort out the downsides relatively easily and run it over the summer. Insurance is pretty good for me as well. The only problem is, after the test drive, I just kept saying 'yes, it's very nice'... hmmm... 'nice'. I really wanted to be able to say 'whoa! this car ROCKS!!'.. but, frankly, I guess for under a grand I can't complain. Any thoughts, suggestions for other forms of cheap sporty transport that'll do the daily commute?

Cheers,

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

Not bad, but the only one that goes is the 'proper' 924S...The plain 924 was a touch anaemic, but hell for the price...

How about: Saab 900 turbo, solid, fast, reliable, massive hatch! Audi coupe, galvanised, 5-cyl quite like those. BMW E30 3 series (do stretch to the 325 if you can...)

Reply to
Chris

In article , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

You've just covered the cars I would have suggested.

He might look at a Saab 9000 LPT too. Not exactley "Woosh" turbo boost, but enough to get it up to speed from the 2 litre, and plenty from the

2.3 version, also with some advice and tweeks upgradeable to the Full pressure turbo. £1k to £.5k will get a solid but rough looking LPT 2.0 with ticket and maybe even some tax. A little higher or a lucky find will get leather. Expect the aicon if fitted to have leaked.

Also if covering eighties cars, what about a Renault Fuego if you can find one, or a Volvo 480 1.7T or 2 litre NA, electronics can be a nightmare, but a distinctive car.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

take the porsche, they drive very well, and the porsche site still does stylin parts for them, and I expect a 20v audi engine wouldnt be too hard to fit

Reply to
Theo

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I went ahead and bought it today. Knocked the seller down to £750 and had an extremely pleasurable drive home on the M25. It was a very quiet, refined drive - not the in-your-face sorta kick that I used to get out of driving my RX-7 Turbo II - but just a really great drive. Well, I guess I have been blasting around in a 1986 Peugeot 305 for the past four years, with god knows how many different rattles, rumbles, shakes and clonks ;)

I even have a Porsche keyring now.

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

In article , lord snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

Get yourself upto Hertfordshire/Bucks/Beds and give it a nice sling arround the Chilterns and the Beds back lanes. Then you will see how really nice it is.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , lord snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

BTW, you got a bargain. Cheapest round here in Autotrader is £1650 and I would have to travel 50 miles to find it. Cheapest red one is nearly £4k.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yeah, tell me about it. I have to believe the number of miles on it are genuine, just from the mechanical 'look' of everything - it all works really well, there's just a couple of electrical niggles here and there and then there's the dent in the wing and the dropped driver's door, which I think affected the price. It's white, I'm hoping at the very least if I get the bodywork back up to scratch I'll be able to sell it on for a profit - but at the moment I'm just gonna enjoy owning it ;)

Chris.

Reply to
Chris B

But will you keep the keyring if you do.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Drat. Good point. Does this mean I'm stuck with buying Porsches now?

Reply to
Chris B

There are worse things in life. ;)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Good man !!

Everyone slags them, but I really enjoyed the time I spent with the two I had. Nothings touches the locost of course ................;-)

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle