Porting & Polishing?

I've already had a better car. I've had 2 mark2 Golf GTis. I got banned, thats why I had to get a 1.4.......

I know what people mean, the GTis were 100000000x better than my XSi, but its what I've got, and I like it now. Given the chance I'd rather have a GTi, but the insurance man say no...........

Reply to
Ray Bentos

best thing to do is swap parts from 1.3TU rallye, make it rev to 7.5k, they are great fun to drive.

Reply to
Theo

Its cheaper than insuring a hotted up car! I hope you are going to tell the insurance because I would hate to think what would happen if you hit some pedestrian and killed them, because they WILL take your car apart.

Reply to
Burgerman

Not really, its about the journey, not arriving.

I could go out and blow =A3200 in a weekend of booze, crap food and=20 probably some recreational drugs. But I got bored with that before I was=20

  1. I much prefer spending it on my car, and doing as much of the work as=20 possible.

This weekend, I plan to take the time to remove the 13 bolts, 4 heat=20 shields and Lambda sensor to remove the CAT on the Celica and fit a=20 replacment decat/downpipe. All have been fitted for the last 15 years,=20 so should be fun.

It should also release about 6 BHP, allow the turbo to produce boost=20 from a lower point, continue making it without dropping off upto the=20 redline (instead of dropping off for the last 2000revs), and increase=20 the MPG when I'm not nailing it.

But the fun will be working out where it is fastened, and braced, and=20 not busting the radiator when removing it, and not braking too many=20 studs.

--=20 Carl Robson "Sorry Sir the meatballs are orf" (The poster formerly known as Skodapilot)

Sleeker GT Phwoar

Not really, its about the journey, not arriving.

I could go out and blow £200 in a weekend of booze, crap food and probably some recreational drugs. But I got bored with that before I was

  1. I much prefer spending it on my car, and doing as much of the work as possible.

This weekend, I plan to take the time to remove the 13 bolts, 4 heat shields and Lambda sensor to remove the CAT on the Celica and fit a replacment decat/downpipe. All have been fitted for the last 15 years, so should be fun.

It should also release about 6 BHP, allow the turbo to produce boost from a lower point, continue making it without dropping off upto the redline (instead of dropping off for the last 2000revs), and increase the MPG when I'm not nailing it.

But the fun will be working out where it is fastened, and braced, and not busting the radiator when removing it, and not braking too many studs.

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Rusted exhaust bolts/clamps, dont you just love them?

Drown them in WD40 first, but I found that you still have to look into cutting/drilling some bolts out

Reply to
Ray Bentos

I have industrial quantities of both spray and liquid plus gas, and also a couple of extra cans for the blow torch (not a good as Oxy but should help). I'm planning to invest in some decent mople grips (don't know how long I've managed without them) for the inevitable snapped stud, and I'm going to make sure the cordless drill is fully charged. Just need to find a decent quality 14mm offset spanner.

As long as I get remove/break all the studs, drilling will be a pain in the arse, but there will be enough room.

The decat comes will all replacement bolts to cover broken studs, and even spare studs for the Lambda sensor.

The bottom end where CAT bolts to the main system should be easy, because it was seperated last weekend when the mongoose went on.

I'v been told two hours if it goes to plan, 4 if the studs won't come undone, and about 6 if they all snap.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

years,

no u got me wrong...i enjoy every aspect of working on th car as well as i do it myself...i just think he should stop wasting money on the poor car...like he said himself...hes had a golf gti...no super car, but i would think more worth spending the money on...thats all i meant.

good luck with the cat bolts...(or maybe u done it already?) mine required oxy acet. to make them aware that someone was even considering looking at them with a spanner in their hand...use stainless fasteners to fix the decat, makes life in the future so much easier....

do any manufacturers use stainless fasteners all round as standard? would be nice :-)

Reply to
JonnyBoy

i have no idea my good man.

maybe to do with me using google on the web, rather than outlook or similar to read/post?? i dunno

(just wanted to add a thumbs up to all your sites...very inspiring)

Reply to
JonnyBoy

I have found that diesel makes one of the best nut/bolt releasing agents and one of the cheapest.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Look, its fixed itself!

Reply to
Burgerman

If I had a diesel car, I'd grab a can full, use what I need, and then stick the rest in.

But I don't think I'll go the petrol station with a 2 litre flask and fill that up. Don't think it would go down too well.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

must have been a freak of technology!(as opposed to nature!)

Reply to
JonnyBoy

It didn't go to plan. 8.5 hours of sweating and swearing yesterday, and the CAT is still firmly affixed.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

"Sleeker GT Phwoar" wrote: > In article > , > snipped-for-privacy@andrewn0spamdenley.com says... > > Sleeker GT Phwoar wrote: >  > > In article > <8uEge.38802$ snipped-for-privacy@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk>, > sp014g6464 >  > > @blueyonder.co.uk says... >  > > >   > >>Rusted exhaust bolts/clamps, dont you just > love them? >   > >>

I find it?s usually much easier to do the job the day after you need to have it finished, but thats probably no consolation to you; sorry :?

Good luck if you try again.

Reply to
Streltsky

2 words. Gas axe.

Fraser

Reply to
Fraser Johnston

Probably because the website URL was omitted in the second post, and OE therefore didn't decide to switch to html mode, a bit. TBH I don't know why OE does this, only that it does.

Reply to
Questions

It was bound to be like that, you should have known!

Why cant things with cars ever run smoothly?

Reply to
Ray Bentos