Price of car too high?Will it run on unleaded?

He's also missing anopther crucial point, trying to pin an "average life" in miles on a turbo (especially older ones) is just not feasable.

Pass me the keys to any brand new turbocharged car and I bet I can break it within 5000 miles, if not sooner.

Give me the keys to a well maintained, oder car and as long as I continue to treat and maintain it then it should be fine.

The main factor in turbocharger life length is the way they are treated, maintained and driven.

A well maintained 15 year old turbo charger will run perfectly well, someihting like a focus RS that was not run in correctly and then abused for the first few years of it's life will probably not.

IMO it's clear you have never owned a turbo charged car.

Mason

Reply to
Mason

I do mean a 'true chav'.

Well then you are one of the few people in recent months, on any board to actually use the word correctly, and for my assumption I apologise.

*wave at the inhabitants of the random groups he seems to be posting to*

Mason

Reply to
Mason

Mason (rmason@plusdotnet) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Exactly.

Peter? Or me?

I presume you mean Peter - but you've replied to the wrong post.

If me, you've misunderstood my posts, and you're also wrong - I've had one for the last 40k miles.

Reply to
Adrian

Peter.

Yup :o)

Mason

Reply to
Mason

were

I learnt to drive in a Diesel, but it wasn't Turbo.

I haven't been in a taxi in this country, and when I have been in Taxi's I didn't pay much attention to the engine. Maybe buses are Turbo's, but I was thinking about cars (or similar eg. SUV's) really.

Yeah. They're starting to do some nice modern ones without Turbo's though, eg. Yaris' 1.4D, Punto/Corsa 1.3, etc. I think they'll become less common on Diesels.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

The message from petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

Buses, coaches, diesel trains....

Reply to
Guy King

The message from petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com contains these words:

No need - they can afford the sticker and that's good enough.

Reply to
Guy King

(petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Really? EVER? Not once?

You're funny.

Reply to
Adrian

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Hey, look, would that be Peter talking _utter_ bollocks again?

(Peter, tell me where you heard about these mythical new engines - a link will do...)

clive

Reply to
Clive George

The message from Adrian contains these words:

I haven't been in one for twenty years. I had a go in one in Ireland ten years ago - scared me witless.

Reply to
Guy King

Clive George ( snipped-for-privacy@xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

TBF, small diseasel hatches often haven't been turbo'd - and the Yaris D4-D still doesn't seem to be - but more and more tiddlers are TD rather than just D. Is there such a thing as a non-turbo common rail diseasel?

We'll completely ignore the fact that all the current diseasel Punto and Corsa lumps are turbo'd...

Diseasels are getting far smaller capacity - for example, PSA now do a 1.6

110bhp HDi instead of 2.0, and the new Punto lump's a 1.3 "multijet" TD.

That ain't happenin' on atmo aspiration...

Reply to
Adrian

like

Got an URL? Or are you making the same mistake as Peter? :-)

(hint -

Are the VW SDs that? (or are they a slightly different technology?)

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Oh, I thought that all of these new small Deisels were all non Turbo for some reason. I think the Yaris is non-Turbo, and I think the smart forfour and Mitsubushi Colt maybe non-Turbo too, but I'm not certain. I've gotta go now anyway.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

Few turbo cars are badged "Turbo" these days. It just attracts the wrong kind of attention.

Reply to
Johannes H Andersen

Clive George ( snipped-for-privacy@xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Fukkoff...

Yeh, looked at that (that webshite is terrible to actually try to find anything on) - the PDF "tech spec" for the Yaris doesn't mention a turbo, and 55bhp from a modern 1.4 diesel isn't really TD territory, although the torque does imply it might be. Google was inconclusive, too.

Don't think so. Google suggests they're DI, but don't think they're common rail.

Reply to
Adrian

(petermcmillan snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

I thought it was rather easy - I clicked on 'yaris', then 'engines', then saw the bit saying 'The highly efficient 1.4 litre D-4D engine incorporates a variable nozzle turbocharger' :-)

The new smart engines appear to have turbos, although I couldn't find anything on the manufacturer's site, and the colt appears to be the same engine.

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

Hmmm. That isn't an overwhelming reason to want to own one....

Reply to
chris

The message from Adrian contains these words:

"Multijet"? Is that market speak for "We know all[1] diesels have one injector per cylinder but we're going to make out like it's a big thing"?

[1] For some values of all.
Reply to
Guy King