Quandry

Bloke rings me up this morning

B -"Still got those Rover turbos?" Me -"yup" B -"I'm on my way to get 'em, I'm in Kent, I'll be there about 5pm" Me -"ok"

turns up 5pm, grins, says something about some psycho kit car, puts the turbo kit in his boot, gives me the money, drives off back to Kent.

This leaves me in a bit of a situation.

I've got; the Capri - which I'm going to have to MOT this week the Sierra - which is pretty much ideal for what I'm using it for, but a bit Bagpuss the Merc - which is still too nice to break, but no-one seems to want it.

I've not got;

A pair of turbos that I was using as a mental prop to stop me wanting to build something psychopathic. I was thinking along the lines of "Well, yeah, I'd do that, but I've got a pair of turbos for a V8 there, and that's not V8 / not got room for the turbos / got driveshafts running through the sump and therefore difficult to V8.

To get the Capri through an mot will be a piece of piss, so I'm thinking about 12 months mot and floggage. I hardly use the bloody thing and it's too nice to leave standing round. Should be worth about £1500 if I can be arsed changing the camshaft.

The Merc would be a very useable barge if I could be bothered spending a few humdred squid. Classic insurance *ROCKS*. I'm still tempted to use it. Fuel bills? They're for Dervy to worry about....

The Sierra... is there some sort of funky kit car thing that uses all *the*

4x4 Sierra running gear? *Not* something where I have to search scrapyards for the front struts off a Spagthorpe Bologna. If so, does it look ok?

Hmm... wonder if the Merc V8 will go in an MX5...

Reply to
Pete M

HTH.

Reply to
SteveH

Certainly does... now I wonder how much that kit costs... only thing is, mine's a V6, not a Cosworth....

Reply to
Pete M

Would that make much of a difference? - is the 4wd system totally different or something?

Reply to
SteveH

AFAIK the 4x4 system is the same... but the V6 weighs about the same as a ships' anchor

Reply to
Pete M

The Pinto wasn't much of a lightweight either. Especially with all that turbo plumbing bolted onto it...... be interesting to know exactly how much more a V6 weighs, though.

According to carfolio.com, the Saphire Cossie 4x4 actually weighs more than an XR4x4 V6.

Reply to
SteveH

I hope he doesn't blow up his engine too quickly. That was what put me off, the long inlet chamber filled with mixture that explodes and destroys the engine / bonnet on a regular basis. Or so I was told, repeatedly, by those supposedly in the know.

Even thought about a spare engine / fibreglassing bonnets so there would be a spare handy...

Reply to
Questions

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Geezer I bought this set up off has been running a turbo Range Rover for the last 18 years. The torque produced by the twin turbo set up blew up the Range Rover gearbox on his first one, so he went for the single turbo set up on his second. No sign of any engine explosions or other such drama...

Reply to
Pete M

then they are talking bollocks the V6 weighs in at an almost mind boggling 400lb's with all the bits on it the cossie weighs at least 40 kg's less than that with all the 4wd trimming on it get it to a weighbridge and you will see it tip the scales at around the

1300 kg mark the cossie weighs about 1250kg
Reply to
dojj

lose the 4wd put the merc V8 into it (with the box) bolt on one turbo and away you go merrily smoking both rear tyres due to the lsd fitted as standard to the sierra :)

Reply to
dojj

In news:ccu91r$fjo$ snipped-for-privacy@news7.svr.pol.co.uk, dojj decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

nah, that's the whole reason for having an XR4x4. Otherwise I'd have bought an XR4i.

Nah, that means braking the Merc to put the motor in something that's not worth much more.

Can't, I sold 'em, hence this whole thread

Aye, if I'm gonna break the Merc to put the engine in something else, it'd probably be the Capri.. but the Capri is too nice to do that to... hence the whole "Quandry" thing...

Reply to
Pete M

I imagine 1250 kg is the RWD-Cosworth, the Sierra Cosworth 4x4 weighs 1310 kg (all fluids filled exempt fueltank).

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

well, my estate came in (with fuel and water and stuff plus me) at 1604 kgs quite a bit don't you think? but you have to add the extra wieght of the turbo's and piping and stuff to that base figure from ford

Reply to
dojj

You = 75 kg fuel = 60 kg turbo's and stuff= 30 kg

1604 - 165 = 1439 kg which is still somewhat 130 kg heavier than the cosworth.

And the cosworth 4x4 has also some parts (example : alternator support) which are very "elegant" , "lightweight" items made of lovely cast iron about 15mm thick. Never let that fall: it can break either your foot or the floor.

Never quite understood Ford: with the Cosworth they had cars that became legends. Ford isn't the least interested in them. Worse even: going with a Cosworth to an official Ford dealer is the way to ruin it.

Finished my Cossie-engine rebuild yesterday: it purs like a kitten and doesn't loose a drop of oil or water. Took it out for a spin and all the hard work is forgotten: needed the whole day to get the idiotic grin of my face.

Now planning on new goodies ;)

Tom De Moor

Reply to
Tom De Moor

Spend the cash, and use the Merc.

As you say, it's "too nice" - and if no-one wants to buy it, then you deserve to use it !

If it's not shagged in a year, you'll probably have a much easier time selling it on complete with the "few hundred quid" repairs.

Reply to
Nom

It's the janspeed suck through design that I've been warned off. Basiaclly, the sort where you have the carbs on the end and the turbo sucks air through them and pumps it into the inlet manifold.

Supposedly plenty of v8's have blown up with this setup in various comic ways. Personally, I've never seen this but then I've never seen a twin turbo v8 as such either.

I even have a 8.3 lump sitting in the back yard just in case, which will donate a block as and when I need one.

Dunno what range rover use for turbos, but I would guess it's not a "suck though" design?

Reply to
Questions

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

suck through design is the original "suck it and see" type thing. Blow through is more efficient, but IIRC, for some reason suck through produces more torque.. I'm probably wrong though...

Reply to
Pete M

Ah, this problem may well be solved in about 3 months. I've just been offered (and accepted) a job managing a car hire firm (again). start in a fortnight :-D. Job involves travelling 30 miles to work in the Sierra / Capri for now, and then I get a company car... which leaves me free to spend oodles of cash on something silly. I'm seriously considering a 560 SEC or SEL... and if I can flog the reg on the Sierra for £399, then I'll flog the whole car for £350ish, sell the Capri, and someone's allegedly on their way out tonight to view the Merc... Wahey...

Reply to
Pete M

keep us posted when you go and get a rolling road sorted out :)

Reply to
dojj

Hurrah then !

Reply to