Random Rambling post - warning car content.

I've sort of promised myself that I will now not get a new daily driver until the Sylva is on the road. In the last week, I have made a set of exhaust downpipes and the engine is in the car and ready to go.

The eagle eyed amongst you will see that the exhaust is not quite finished in this pic.

All I need to run it is to give it sparks and fuel. The guy I got the engine from has a fuel pump which I am going to get from him tomorrow. As an incentive, he decided today to try it on one of his spare engines. There's always something cool about an engine running with no car around it. It's even cooler when there isn't even a hint of an exhaust on it.
Hopefully, mine will make similar noises by this time tomorrow.

If it does, I will feel quite justified in getting something which might seem a bit boring to some of you. If I know that it tows a trailer with the Sylva on it, which can do this sort of stuff.

Did I mention the paddle shift before ?
Andy at
is making me one of these.

Now, something to pull the trailer... Promise not to mention the D word.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

a car related post and with car related links? WTF!? this group has changed in 2009 already!

the paddle shift is kinda cool, the lack of windscreen i don't like much though, also the guy driving in the clip is going pretty quick it reminds me of one of them spot the hazard videos from the new theory test. anyway the engine sounded alright mind.

Reply to
Vamp

He is wearing a lid though. Mine has a windscreen I have to say, and it will be keeping it.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle

A previous gen Mondeo 2.5 V6? My parents have one, an estate at that, and it's never gone wrong, and never gives any trouble at all, they tow with it ok as well. Actually, I lie, the air-con compressor died (system had been left empty for a while) although PartsGateway meant we had a new one 3 days later for £60 - better than the £300 for a new one from Ford, and there wasn't a pattern one apparently. There probably is, but the boss at the local independant 100m from my house was away and the minion couldn't be arsed to check was the impression we got. Oh also, it has one of them self imploding 6cd headunits - double din sized, you post all 6 cds into the one slot - but that wasn't a surprise really heh. It was repaired by a dude on Ebay a few years ago and has been fine since then anyway.

Downsides? Well with like, 170-180bhp and 1,600kg iirc, it's not exactly fast, but once at motorway speeds it's plenty enough - feels to respond better the faster you're going heh. The other issue is it's not exactly frugal. My dad got 28mpg driving to Birmingham to see me, then the next time he came, same sort've time on a weekday, he didn't use the cruise control and got 32mpg. Don't expect 30mpg when towing, or if you're booting it - although dad cruises at 85-90mph on the motorway, so I guess if you turned the cruise off and drove along the motorway slower you could maybe get 35mpg.

Reply to
DanB

Looks a lot better than it did when I was round there. Nice progress. Glad to see my burnt fingers were not in vain. (c;

Cool. This makes it one step closer to "CIHAGM?"

Does he still have the Formula Vauxhall Lotus?

D for Douglas? (c:

Heh, I like the paddleshifter. Looks pretty high tech, especially compared to the rest of the car.

-- Douglas

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Feel the burn, feel the burn...

No, he realised that he and the car wer dissimilarly talented. He now has one of these.

Nah, worse than that....

Isn't it just.

Reply to
Bob Sherunckle