Re: Discs & Drums

Fast enough, and I certainly wouldn't cruise any higher in a more powerful car, but I wouldn't mind something a bit less stressed at near-license-losing speeds.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Buying a Japanese import?

pete boyall

Should've stuck it in 1st if you were below 20mph, you'd have got lots more engine braking - always descend the hill in the gear you would use to go up it.

Reply to
Exit

While I have big meaty discs behind steel wheels and trims :-)

Reply to
pete boyall

Coast road? Lynmouth hill? Some heros pushed a lifeboat (old type with oars) up that to launch it at Porlock as the on shore waves prevented it being launched from Lynmouth. Drop to Porlock is quite steep too.

Peter Hill

Aie, you're right, hindsight being a wonderful thing and all that.

Reply to
DervMan

So do you feel like sponsoring me - just driven from John O'Groats to Lands End in one (2,000 miles all up, over five days, heh).

Reply to
DervMan

Just drive into people, claim they stopped dead.

;)

I use them - just carefully. Lots of motorway miles.

Reply to
DervMan

inconsiderate

but they don't work as much so your front's are doing all the work and if they did go off, they would fade as the drum would expand to a greater diameter than the shoes could extend to, thus resulting in the cylincders reaching the ends of their travel and you not having any brakes at all :)

Reply to
dojj

Only just - they had to fiddle with tyre pressures, turn every electric gizmo off, and cruise at 55mph the whole way :)

-- Michael Rodgers, Plymouth UK

Reply to
Michael Rodgers

Wasn't there a TV show about this a few years back? They did London to Washington - through the tunnel and over the bearing straight whilst it was frozen...

They took Ford Mavericks and things, but needed to use a special crawler thing to get over the ice.

-- Michael Rodgers, Plymouth UK

Reply to
Michael Rodgers

wrote in

wrote

at losing

the front, so

huge, and yet

drums to save

drums poking out

days than it

Focus, say), the

. . and if

five million

higher discount

The problem with that argument, is that many, if not most rear discs, also incorporate a drum for a mechanical handbrake. Discs don't lend themselves to handbrake operation as readily. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Whats the good cause?

Reply to
Exit

I would SO be in on that....

We could make it a race ;)

-- Dan

Reply to
Dan405

The NSPCC's "Full Stop" appeal. We've raised about £3,000 at the moment, arrived back home Wednesday morning at 02:00 hours.

Reply to
DervMan

inconsiderate

Um, why were you using the brakes to descend a hill ?!?!?

Put car in 1st/2nd/3rd gear (depending on car, and gradient). Release clutch. Descend hill.

Didn't you learn that when you learnt to drive ?

Reply to
Nom

And also that rear brake discs are almost always smaller than front brake discs so Ford'd just be buying 5 million rear discs instead of 5 million drums.

Reply to
Scott M

Is that 2000 miles in total (from York, to John O'Groats, on to Land's End, and back to York) ??

Edinburgh to Bracknell was around 400 miles. When I went up there (from Slough) it was roughly the same, going M25/M1/A1 (with bits of A1(M) now and then). I was amazed how far Edinburgh was from Newcastle - 114 miles!!!! I was thinking more like around 70. And there's a hell of a lot more Scotland past Edinburgh (understatement!).

It amused me that there was a place called Oxford just off the A1 near-ish Berwick.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

ROFL! Love the dry humour in that statement.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I did consider saying, "replacement brake pads, 0, replacement front bumpers: 17"

Reply to
DervMan