Re: don't you just love the internet!

was looking at some BMW stuff in a google search and came across a forum

> with the subject of poor radio reception. now my beemer had poor reception > when i bought it and it had a s**te old kenwood unit in it. so i replaced > this thinking it maybe a s**te old unit (which it was) and so put in a > nice shiny MP3 jobby (the one the pikey scum nicked! but that's not my > point) anyway i also got s**te reception. i could pick up stations but it > was a bit hit and miss on the quality. > > anyway trip to halfords and a couple of quid for an aerial booster later > it seemed to do the trick but it tends to drop or fade now and then. > so this guy on some forum had the same thing as me and it's all down to 1 > fecking wire! apparently the aerial on later E36's is in the rear glass > and this has it's own booster. but the booster has a brain it and it > switches between 4 wires to give the best signal and when it's unplugged > it doesn't work so basically i've boosted the signal but to only 1 wire > because the clever booster isn't on to switch between wires. if that all > makes sense which i hope it does!

I have a similar system in my E34. The aerial booster being fitted behind the n/s rear quarter panel. Are you sure it's powered from the radio? I was under the impression that in the E34 it was powered from the electrickery under the rear seat squab. Switched on by the ignition switch. Mine also has an aftermarket radiio fitted, so maybe you are right and it's powered by the power aerial connection on the radio. I can't recall whether that outlet is being used or not. Reception is good on all but AM frequencies, so it would appear the booster is doing it's job. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In news:465818aa$1$8724$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader02.plus.net, Mike G wittered on forthwith;

They are normally switches by the radios "electric aerial" connection. Loads of things have them, from the Sierra Sapphire to Mk2 Golfs with "bee-sting" aerials. My Rangie has one. If it's not connected to the radio you tend to lose quite a lot of signal strength, strangely enough...

Reply to
Pete M